[4]

Brooklyn, NY, December 22nd, 1933

The sounds of the night caused Dolores to smile, gripping the arm of the man she was falling for. Bucky smiled lovingly down at the girl, thinking that the snow looked beautiful getting caught in her bright curls."You look delightful, doll," Bucky muttered into her ear as they neared the house that contained his best friend of many years; Steve Rogers.

"You're such a brown-noser, James," she giggled, flicking his nose that was turning slightly red from the cold. 

Despite her playful nature, Dolores was absolutely terrified. She had never met Steve before, but she knew he meant the world to Bucky, and that alone made the need to get his approval all the more desperate.

"Dot, everything is going to go great. Steve's gonna love you," Bucky attempted to soothe the girl's nerves as he could tell she was anxious. She took a deep breath as they walked up to the door.

"I love it when you call me Dot," she mumbled with a blush, and Bucky chuckled at the girl beside him, knocking on the door.

"Sweetheart, you weren't even this nervous when you met my parents," Bucky teased, and Dolores smacked his arm in rebuttal as the door swung open, revealing a beautiful blonde woman with an apron on.

"Bucky, darling," she cooed, pulling the boy into a large hug and causing him to blush slightly, worrying what Dolores thought of the display.

She thought it was the cutest thing she'd ever seen.

Sarah Rogers was a beautiful woman with softly curled blonde locks and blue eyes that held love and compassion. She didn't have the fanciest clothes, but she had the stature of a fair queen in Dolores' eyes.

"Hello honey, you must be Dottie. I'm Sarah Rogers, Steve's Mom. It's such a pleasure to finally meet you after this fella here has been fawning over you non-stop," Sarah gave the girl a smile, noticing the way that Bucky kept himself at a close distance and could barely take his eyes off her.

"Sarah," Bucky groaned as the woman pulled Dolores in for a motherly hug.

"Oh c'mon, tough guy. Steve's in the living room listening to the radio. Make yourself at home!" She lead them into the house, letting them remove their coats and gloves as she walked to the kitchen.

Bucky slowly peeled Dolores' coat off for her, marvelling at how she looked in the light blue dress she decided to wear.

"Wow, doll. Aren't you just something," he mumbled, holding her hand out and twirling her around causing her to blush and giggle. He pulled her in close, placing a kiss on her cheek, causing slight disappointment to rise in Dolores' chest.

She and Bucky had been on multiple dates over the past three months, but never once has he ever kissed her. He hasn't made anything official, and the most she gets is a kiss on the cheek. She knew he had feelings for her of course, but he seemed to be hesitating to make things official, and that worried her.

Bucky could sense that something was wrong, but he figured she was just nervous to meet Steve. He didn't let go of her hand and instead laced their fingers together, leading her to the living room.

"Steve-o!" He called with a smile, and Dolores felt herself melting at the two boys embracing in a hug, knowing just how much they meant to each other. Steve then turned to her with wide eyes.

"Geez, Buck. You told me she was beautiful, but not this beautiful," Steve whispered to his best friend, causing him to smack him on the head.

"She's mine, ya' wet sock. Go say hi, she's real nervous about meeting you," He whispered back. Steve smiled at the girl, causing some of her nerves to disappear.

"Hi. I'm Steve, you're Dolores, right?" He stuck out his hand politely, gripping hers softly in a shake.

"Yes, that's me. You can call me Dottie, though," she breathed deeply, watching as Steve smiled wider.

"Dottie. I like it, it suits you," he chuckled, nodding for them to join him on the couch.

"I haven't met any of Bucky's girls, so this is a real treat," Steve blurted before realizing what he said and how it must have sounded. Bucky stared at Steve with a glare, but Dolores didn't miss a beat.

"Yeah, well I assume I'm not like most of Bucky's girls," she said confidently, causing both boys to look at her with wide eyes.

"I think you and I are going to get along just fine, Dottie."

——————————————

"Oh Dot, they loved you!" Bucky cheered as he walked the redhead home. She giggled happily as he danced around the sidewalk, acting as if he was on cloud 9.

"You're a loon, y'know that?" She smiled lovingly at him as he spun around, only a few feet from her house.

"Only for you, doll," he smiled in that confident way that Dolores loved so much, and she couldn't help it. She reached up and pulled his cheek down to meet with her lips. She let them linger a little longer than normal on his cheek, savouring the feeling as she assumed this would be as close as she got to kissing the boy.

When she pulled away, Bucky stared down at her, wanting nothing more than to kiss her with all the passion he was holding back. But that was the problem; he was holding back.

Bucky was holding back on lots of things with Dolores because he didn't want to scare her off. She was nothing like the girls he had dated before, and he was determined to keep her. Even if it meant taking things extremely slow.

He continued to stare as her face got closer to his and he panicked, coughing and backing away quickly, latching his hand onto the back of his neck.

Dolores felt her cheeks turn bright red, realizing what just happened.

He doesn't want to kiss me.

"Well, I better get inside. Thank you for tonight," Dolores nodded, feeling anger toward the boy in front of her. If he didn't want to kiss her, why the hell did he ask her on dates and spend every moment with her?

"Dot, wait," Bucky attempted to fix the huge mistake he made, but the damage was already done.

"No. It's fine, it was my mistake. Goodnight Bucky," She said robotically, rushing up to her door.

"Dot!" Bucky yelled just as the door closed in his face. He felt a heavy break in his chest, realizing how badly he messed up.

That was the first time she had ever called him Bucky.

OH DAMN Buck u messed up bro