𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎 🥀

"He's back and you didn't think once to inform me!" My mother gasped. I winced and leant back into the sofa. I put Hazel to sleep a couple hours ago and was now trying to enjoy at least a single glass of wine. "I had to find out through-"

"Ma." I said, interrupting her, "I only found out today. And I want nothing to do with him." I muttered, lifting the glass to my lips. She sat down in front of me. "He's the father of your child, Lia."  My eyes met hers, "You think I don't know that? You think after leaving me when he knew I needed him the most, that he still deserves to know about Hazel?" I scoffed, "No, Ma, he- he walked out on us. Not the other way around."

"I also played a part in this, Lia. And although Hazel is without a father figure, I am glad of it, because he would've caused you both nothing but pain." She told me.

"I need another glass." I sighed, standing. She followed me to the kitchen. "Did you two speak?" She asked, "We did." I said, pouring the wine, "You want a refill?" She shook her head.

"We spoke and I made it beyond clear that I wanted him out of my life..again," I said, sitting at one of the island stools. "It's Hazel's dance recital tomorrow." She reminded me. "I'm well aware. I've cleared my schedule for it." I replied, gulping down the rest of my glass.

"Lia, easy on the alcohol." She said, taking my glass. I wiped my lips and took the wine bottle as her back turned to me. "I'll be on the porch, please also check on Hazel." I said, before walking out of the kitchen.

I sulked and walked to the front of my house before leaving to sit on the porch. After Hazel came, I turned Jungkook's room into hers. Although she barely uses it, only for play time, since she sleeps with me.

I pulled out my phone and searched the Organisation I worked for. Jungkook's pictures with his Uncle were already uploaded on the site. I sighed, zooming into his face. He looked much older. More mature. But he was still the man I fell in love with many years back. To me, nothing has changed. Nothing perhaps ever will.

I picked up the wine bottle and was about to swing a gulp when I paused, looking at it. I'm a mother now. I shouldn't be letting myself go this easily. With that thought, I stood up and went back inside the house, returning the half empty wine bottle to the fridge. At least tomorrow will be less heavy on my shoulders.

_________

JEON JUNGKOOK:

Three weeks ago...

"You think you could just waltz back into their lives?" My father scoffed, clearly frustrated by my decision. "You know what will forever keep me in the dark?" I asked him. "How you act as if you never felt anything for her mother. You left her like she was nothing- like she was just some fucking pawn-"

"Enough. I am your father-"

I scoffed, "The father you are. Want one?" I asked, pouring more whisky into my glass. "I saw the look on May's face when she told us to be gone, and Lia wasn't with your child- Son, there isn't much for you to go back to." He told me.

"Isn't - much - for me- to go back to?" I repeated. "You are fucking joking, Jeon." I said, gulping my whole glass. This stuff wasn't strong enough. I needed to get wasted tonight.

"I am going to bring her to you as your daughter in- law." I said, laughing hysterically at his stupidity. "Have you been walking around with your eyes fucking closed or did you really miss your son's deteriorating mental fucking health?" I stood, slamming the glass against the table in anger.

"I have given not just myself, but you- you four years. I have tried to become a better man for her and what was supposed to be my family if she had kept my child. But God forbid your son live a normal fucking life, eh?" I said, through gritted teeth. "I didn't wish for you to be born into mafia, but your grandfather-"

"Is dead." I interrupted. "And long - fucking gone. Cheers to him for making my life the hell it is."

"I will not let my son bring shame upon our bloodline. Not after how much we've- -I've sacrificed." He said, to which I looked at him confused.

"I will never have dirt or blood on my palms again." I told him.

"I said the same thing to your grandfather when I was your age and with your mother." He replied, "But look at me now. Look at where I am stood. Underground's most feared Mafia leader, a status which you'll soon achieve."

"Face it, Jungkook, it's what us Jeon's do. It runs in our veins!" He said with so much passion it almost made me want to gag.

"Was sacrificing my mother worth it?" I asked, and the colour drained from his face. "I'm sorry." I sighed, rubbing my temples.

"By not going back to Lia you are saving her from facing an end your mother did." He answered. "And, no, nothing in this world was worth more than your mother."

"I'm leaving in a week." I announced, leaving the office.

_______

Present time:

I leant back in my office chair, staring up at the pale ceiling with only her on my mind. Her smell, her face, her lips, the way she felt.. it was all the same. It was hours after, past midnight, and everyone's shifts had almost ended. Only few were here and there, but I.. I just couldn't leave. Seeing her today after so long.. it gave me relief. "Sir.." my colleague called from my office door. "You have a call-"

"Who from?" I asked, glancing at her.

"She never gave her last name but she goes by May?" She answered, and I sat up in my chair. "I'll take it, thank you." I dismissed her, before lifting the phone. I waited for her to speak.

"You have some nerve-" She began, and a smile spread on my lips.

"It feels so nice hearing your voice." I replied, and I could already see the scowl on her face. "You were no good then and you are no better now, Jungkook. I meant it when I said you'll never have my daughter." She spat, in pure hatred.

"After all, there isn't much you can do now.. you were gone and Lia only moved on, and I'm sure her fiancé wouldn't appreciate you at all." She continued, and my jaw clenched.

Fiancé? "That would be all, and I hope this short conversation put you at sense." She responded to my silence and the line went dead.

My fingers tightened around the phone as I pulled it from my ear.

_________

LIA'S POV:

"Hey, Ma?" I said, walking into her room. She pulled her phone away from her ear almost caught off guard by me. I looked at her confused, "Is everything okay, who was that?" I asked, and she smiled. "It was no one. Just an old friend."

At this time?

"It's almost one am." I said, walking into her room. I caught her sliding her phone beneath her thigh but I paid it very little attention. "I was thinking.." she began, and I sat beside her on the bed.

"You were thinking?" This can't be good-

"You had Hazel fairly young, what if you were to find Hazel a..you know, perhaps, a father?" She suggested. This wasn't the first time she's brought this up.

"I am enough for her." I answered.

"Lia, sweetheart, you and I both know that every child deserves to be raised by both of their parents." She frowned. "It will only affect her when she's older. I mean, doesn't she already ask you now- looking at her friend's father's pick them up from school and wonder why it is only you or me who comes for her?"

I sighed, holding my head in my hand. "But I can't just marry anyone." I said. "Nor am I asking you to. All I want is for you to take it under consideration. Take your time.." she continued, and I looked at her.

Maybe I should—for Hazel.