𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 🥀

Before I could even speak, Jaeh was bent over coughing blood. I pushed Hazel behind me to try and stop Jungkook from hitting him again, "He is your father-" I gasped, and he almost shoved me also but halted, and stepped away from me instantly. "This is your fucking fault." Jungkook growled, and Jaeh wiped his mouth. "May I remind you how it was your forbidden relationship which ruined our marriage to begin with." He said, standing straight.

"The marriage was never real-"

"Son..." Jaeh interrupted him. "It was real, and although I was hoping to stay with your family till many of our issues settled down in Japan, Lia, your mother and I did fall in love." he told me. "We..built a connection, if you remember." I felt Hazel come around from my legs. "I would never hurt her." he continued, extending his hand out for Hazel and she took his finger, "But I wouldn't hurt your mother either."

"You should've left us alone, Jaeh, from the beginning." I took Hazel and walked away from them to one of the rooms. I should have known better to not have allowed my mother, but she would've gone regardless to see Jaeh.

I felt so betrayed. Like a knife had been drawn through me, but my back was facing the killer. She was a coward for going behind my back...but, she was just like me.

I sat Hazel on the bed and the door opened behind us, "Lia.." his voice said, and I turned to see the guilt written all over his sorry face. "You lied, and I let you hold me..hold my daughter whilst you were carrying that- that weapon-"

He shut the door and began walking towards me but I took a step away from him, "Stay away from me.."

"Lia, please, just listen to me-"

"How could you look into my eyes and still lie?" I cried, "And now my mother, she is- she is with those people- whomever they are!" I gasped, and he held my forearms. "Lia, look at me. I will not let anything happen to her-"

My brows furrowed and I twisted my arms, "Do not touch me-" I began struggling, but he only held me tighter. "Let me find her, then decide if you want to leave me or not." He said, and I stopped trying to pull away from him. "I never wanted any of this again." I told him. "We were fine with you gone. Now she'll have to endure the burden of knowing her father that left." I said, glancing back at Hazel.

"Do you not understand a single feeling I have for you, Lia?" He furrowed his brows, and I returned my gaze to his, "Do you not understand mine?" I asked, defeated.

"I do not love you like I did before, and it will never be the same for me." The moment the words left my lips, his fingers loosened around my forearm, and his face fell, like a cloud had casted over him. "I thought I understood." He answered. "Now, say it again."

I looked at him confused, "What?"

"Say what you just said to me again, but this time, let me see your eyes." He continued, and I scoffed, my fingers rubbing my temple, "You heard what I said and that is enough-"

"It is not enough." He said. "Tell me you don't love me anymore, Lia, say it again, not for my ears, but for my eyes."

"You are in denial." I said, looking up at him, "Yet your eyes burn red as you speak, and you gulp each time I ask you to repeat yourself." He told me, and I licked my lips. "Y-you are wrong-"

"You think I don't fucking know when you are lying to me? To my fucking face?" He growled, and I balled my fists. "I don't love you."

"Bullshit-" he grunted. "You will never stop loving me." He said, stepping closer. "Because your heart..." He whispered, pressing his fingers to my chest. His hand then took mine and placed it over his own heart. I gasped quietly, and tried to keep my eyes open as he lowered his mouth to my ear, "Will always, and forever -beat for mine."

His fingers pinched the material of my blouse and my lips parted when he dragged his nose across my face, till his mouth touched mine. I pushed him away, however, but his kiss lingered on my lips.

"I will bring back your mother, Lia, and then, I'll ask for her blessing to take your hand."

I shook my head in disbelief at he walked to the door, "You want me to marry you?" I whispered, tears pricking my eyes, and he paused at the door. "We - we do not live in some fairy tale-"

"Is it so hard to imagine a life with me." He murmured, his back still facing me. I went quiet, and he opened the door and walked out. I sat on the bed with my face in my hands.

_______

Four hours later:

I had accidentally fallen asleep with Hazel, but I wasn't aware of how long I was out for. When I left the room Jungkook wasn't here. I couldn't see him anywhere, and so I walked into his office, but I found Jaeh instead. "Where is he?" I asked him, and he glanced over at me from Jungkook's chair. It seemed as if he was trying to go through the drawers. "He is not here." he answered vaguely, and I muttered, "Clearly," before walking in. He stopped meddling with Jungkook's things and sat back in his chair.

"What is it that you are looking for?" I asked him, and he rubbed his jaw. "Something helpful, but there is nothing here." He said, defeated, and I walked closer to him, near Jungkook's desk. "Something to help my mother?" I continued, and he nodded, "What would you find here?" I was confused.

"The Russians have your mother, Lia." He told me, and I sat on the table, in front of him. "Who are these Russians?" I asked, "And why do they want Hazel in exchange?"

He sighed deeply, "The Russians were a small mob when I was Jungkook's age. My father, at the time, had dealt with them, but it was merely temporarily." He began, "Naturally, they grew with members and estates, both over and underground, but it was never enough to threaten my empire." He told me.

"A year before I met your mother, the reason I married into your family was because of the same mob. I had settled things between us, not enough for entire peace, but for them to stay within their limits with us. But-" He paused, his demeanour completely changing as if he was too afraid to continue speaking. "But, what?" I pushed him, and he cleared his throat. "Vladimir, the leader of the same mob had a wife and daughter." He slowly began again. "His daughter, Angel, was about your ones age. It was all a misunderstanding, Lia." He said, and I furrowed my brows. "Jungkook may not have told you."

"Tell me, Jaeh." I urged him.

"Jungkook was not in the right state of mind, he never was after his mother died. I was rough on him, and unknowingly suffocated him with my own emotions, my own grief that I felt after losing my wife." His eyes were red and I could see him clenching and unclenching his fist. "Jungkook would drown his own sorrows in alcohol and violence. It was all my fault." He cried, rubbing his eyes, and I rubbed his shoulder, "What did he do, Jaeh?"

"I was too busy dealing with the Chinese to have known where he was that night, otherwise I would've never let him put down a deal with Vladimir himself. He never forgave himself after killing them."

My eyes widened, "Killing who?"

"A deal is never a deal with the Russians, they raised their guns at the wrong person and Vladimir's wife and child was shot."

I placed my hand on my heart in disbelief, "Jungkook blames himself to this day, but now you know why they took your mother, and why his daughter is so important to them. I knew Vladimir wouldn't stop till he sought revenge, and so I did what I had to do to keep my son safe, even if it meant pretending to be family."

"Don't let his past define him now, Lia." He said, and I looked down at him. "I'm afraid of the man he'll become if he loses the both of you."

I reached over the table and lifted the pencil holder and took out the spare key to the drawers from beneath it. "Here." I said, sliding it to him. "Find something helpful."