Glimpse 20; A Second Chance at Life

A few hours ago, Wufei walked out of the Weihai Police Station as he wore his brown coat, approaching his subordinate standing next to a car.

"Lao Jin, thanks for accompanying me." Wufei greeted Chengxi.

"Xiao Zhu, we're not supposed to be doing this..." Chengxi sighed heavily.

"Mr. Liu doesn't seem to be leaving anytime soon, since the mysterious stoolpigeon didn't seem to have given him any intel on the traffickers' whereabouts." Wufei said, "But the black van was taken into custody and released once before, there are records of it and it's not difficult to track the vehicle with the help of city surveillance camera operators."

"Do you know where they are?" Chengxi's eyes broadened, to which Wufei responded with a smile. "Then why don't you just report to Mr. Liu? He's the one handling the case after all,"

"A side of me thinks this trip is going to be a pain, but at the same time, I have my own welfares to follow." Wufei responded as he folded his arms in front of his chest, to his subordinate, is an obvious sign of a serious purpose.

"Is there something more to this trafficking case?"

"You know I've been following a certain someone for a while, right?"

"Xiao Haoyu? Isn't he also a victim in this case? He got kidnapped,"

"For reasons that we're yet to be aware of, he hasn't come to the office to give an official report on his side of the story. And anything that Xiao Haoyu is involved in, is something I have to look into carefully." Wufei said in a solemn tone, which made Chengxi silent for a few moments. "Let's continue this talk in the car, it's getting cold."

Chengxi stopped the car when they reached Tongzhou, Beijing. The street lights were flooding the streets with their light as Wufei and Chengxi stepped out of the car to stand up after a long car ride.

"My tailbone and neck are hurting..." Wufei protested as he stretched his limbs in the air.

"Alright, where do we go from here?" Chengxi took out a cigarette from his pocket and lighted the end with a lighter, starting a short smoking break outside the car.

"The suspects were last spotted at a night club near a highway, but there was no sign of the little girl they had with them." Wufei took out his tablet to take a look at the CCTV footage he was provided, which showed the 4 perpetrators entering the night club. "There's no sign of the black van either, but it last drove to the direction of the highway, so it must be parked around there."

"Got it," Chengxi put out his cigarette on the trash can nearby before throwing it in.

They parked their car near the highway and continued their way on foot, using flashlights to light their path. Chengxi was walking ahead of Wufei, slowly growing nervous by the darkness and silence of the woods. Listening to their footsteps on dried leaves in the cold fall weather, Chengxi's footsteps also became more cautious. Watching his partner's unnecessary careful movements, Wufei sighed lightly before opening his mouth.

"-Boo,"

"WAAGH!" Chengxi jumped and stumbled, hitting his forehead against a tree, then hunched down and writhed in pain.

"...Did that hurt-?"

"Of course, it did, you moron!!" Chengxi roared as he turned to Wufei with a red mark on his forehead, "What was that even for??!"

"I just noticed you were a little tense," Wufei smirked slightly, "Loosen up, being tense won't do you any good if anything happens." He turned serious a moment later.

"Right..." Chengxi sighed heavily as he let Wufei walk past and ahead of him, but suddenly squatted down to hide in the bushes, causing Chengxi to do the same immediately after.