Glimpse 31; The Guests

"Qi Shanheng?" the name didn't ring a bell for Chengxi, it caused him to furrow a brow. "To get your hands on evidence against someone like Tu Wanglian, you're not an ordinary person, are you? Not to mention your manner of speech,"

"Your assumption is correct; I am a member of Beijing Central Law Firm." Shanheng took out his wallet, "In fact, I am Tu Wanglian's current right-hand man." He showed his name tag at the law firm as prove, which took Chengxi by surprise. The next moment, the 30-year-old aggressively grabbed Shanheng by the collar.

"Were you the one who tried to kill Xiao Zhu?"

"Indeed, that perpetrator was me." But faced with Chengxi's enraged eyes, Shanheng was calm and collected. "I don't request for words of gratitude, but I did miss my target deliberately."

"How does that make it any better? It doesn't brush off the fact you tried to kill him," Chengxi's voice was spine-chilling, but it didn't apply to Shanheng. Chengxi decided to calm down, he let go of the young man and took a deep breath before opening his mouth to speak again. "You said you have evidence, then just give it to me." And without another word, Shanheng reached into his pocket and handed Chengxi a USB and a small notebook.

"In this USB contains video evidence of paperwork related to all of the cases he had fabricated, in it is also the deleted footage from the camera located at the bridge where Detective Chou fell to his death." Shanheng's words took Chengxi by surprise, "Yet, I have a hunch that Tu-zong will discover a way to prove the video is false. So, I brought the only physical evidence small enough to smuggle out of his office." he then pointed to the notebook.

"What's in this?"

"It contains the list of all of Tu-zong's clients in his illegal weapon commerce, I believe this is enough evidence to apprehend him."

"Alright, I really appreciate this help." Chengxi sounded rather bitter, but Shanheng paid no heed.

"With that, I have one last request." Shanheng got the 30-year-old's attention once more, "Once you receive an arrest warrant, I appeal you to arrest me as well."

"-What??"

"With that, I demand to be given permission to testify against Tu-zong." Shanheng continued, "I don't know how you believe I am, yet I can confidently state that I never enjoyed being Tu-zong's right-hand man."

"Have you been doing all of this against your will?"

"Some say that subordinates simply follow their superior from place to place like an errand-runner servant, a leashed dog who does filthy work." Shanheng said with the faintest yet most sarcastic smile, "I've heard many who felt that way, and I completely understand that. Perhaps, you've been told the same before."

"I'm aware of that, but Xiao Zhu never once treated me conversely." Chengxi said, sternly near the end. "Sure, he's a bit needy and choosy here and there. But he never meant harm by it, he's not that type of person at all."

"I see, at least, some of us have good people as supervisors." Shanheng's smile broadened slightly, as if showing relieve.

"But being able to get these crucial evidences, you must be quite trusted by Tu Wanglian."

"I don't consider that trust, I believe he simply doesn't see me as a threat." Shanheng replied with his cool tone, "I have been toiling for and entombed by him for 9 years, he had complete control over me before I became a proper adult."

"9 years...?" Chengxi was surprised, but kept to himself about it.

"I doubt Tu-zong isn't aware of my perfidy by now, and I can expect a painful punishment in the near future." Shanheng scoffed with a slight smile, "But I'm willing to risk it, I'm confident I've entrusted these evidences to the right people."