Glimpse 26; A Dark Place

"She did indeed die from blood loss, but it was from a bad fall. She hit her head on the tip of the baseball bat on the ground,"

"What are you talking about? What are the chances for that to happen?" Wufei was in disbelieve, "I saw the pictures, she was clearly hit repeatedly."

"That's not what happened, Xiao Zhu. What Tu Baihang said in the interrogation tape was the truth," Mr. Chou told him sternly, "Because of that, this case was officially finalized to be kidnapping with an accidental death."

"Accidental death...?"

"Because of that, I'm sure he would be sent to prison with a bail set."

"You can't do that! He's obviously a dangerous criminal!" Wufei raised his voice slightly, "He'll just be able to pay his bail and roam free again! What about probation? He has to have violated something from his probation that can cost him guarantee jail time!"

"Last time, he was only given volunteer work. I wouldn't call that probation,"

"What?! How come I've never heard of this?!" Wufei was in disbelieve and shock, "This is unaccep-!"

"Xiao Zhu, I want you out of my office, right now." Mr. Chou said sternly, "That decision is finalized, leave it be."

"Are you kidding me?! This isn't justice!" The 25-year-old detective argued back, "How did you agree to this? There are clear evidences that indicated foul play and murder! Are you blind??"

"Leave. Now." Mr. Chou didn't waver, and it made Wufei pause for a few moments. Wufei's loud irritation shifted into silent, his posture changed into a sterner and straighter stand, with his eyes calm yet cold.

"How much?"

"-Huh?" Wufei's cold and stern voice startled Mr. Chou.

"How much were you paid to do this?"

"W-What are you talking about?!" Mr. Chou was taken aback by Wufei's gaze.

"Who was it? Tell me," Wufei asked, "If you're forced into this, I'll help you get out of it. You know this isn't right,"

"I... I can't tell you," Mr. Chou shook his head, looking away from Wufei.

"I'm one of the best detectives in the nation, remember? I can't do my job if you don't tell me who made you do this," Wufei assured him, "I'll investigate on my own, all I want is the truth, and I will bring it to light." He made Mr. Chou silent for a few moments.

"I don't want you telling others that I'm the one who told you, okay?"

"Trust me, I won't."

"He... He threatened me," Mr. Chou's voice shook as it lowered.

"Who?"

"Tu Wanglian, that rich top attorney from Beijing. You know him, don't you?" Mr. Chou continued with a solemn expression, "He's Tu Baihang's father,"

"I didn't expect him to be the one behind all this..." Wufei was taken aback, "Such a powerful man I have to deal with, this is going to be a pain."

"He came to everyone in my team, even the autopsy reporter to change the autopsy results. He gave most of us money, then threatened ones who refused." Mr. Chou explained.

"If you were cornered, why didn't you just give this case to me??"

"He threatened to go after my family if I don't do as he says, and if anything happens to them, I'll never forgive myself."

"From how you said it, seems like this isn't the first time he's done this. He might've done the same in Xi Chanjuan's case as well," Wufei said as he began to think, "Someone with high authority and taking advantage of it this way, huh...?"