Two

"That's a pretty necklace," Joe, Cassidy's boyfriend points out as he helps her out of the car. His jaw ticked, knowing it had to be from a client of hers. It was far too expensive a gift for her to buy for herself.

"Thank you," she preened, a grin on her face as she ignored his scowl. She knew that he was becoming increasingly jealous of her job. But she had been upfront with him from the beginning about what she did and why she did it, giving him an out if he so chose. She knew it was something they would have to address soon if they decided to continue dating. But for now, she was happy to be the pretty accessory on his arm for his company Christmas party.

"Just don't embarrass me," he spits as he hears her scoff, pinching his arm as he grunted. "Sorry," he bemoans softly, stopping in front of the door to turn and face her. "I'm just nervous. Forgive me?"

She smiles, lifting her chin up to him as he grinned, holding her chin between his thumb and forefinger. "Kiss me."

Joe leans forward to press a soft kiss to her lips as she ran her hand up into his blond hair, intensifying the kiss. He moaned softly before pulling away with a smirk. "That is not behaving." He chuckled as she giggled and his eyes fell once more to the necklace around her neck. It taunted him, the sound of another man laying claim to his woman.

Cassidy sighs, placing her hand over the necklace and linking her other arm back through his. "Let's go." She follows him into the large ballroom that was filled with music and cheerful conversation. Decorations of gold and red adorned the ceiling and the walls and tables of food were set along the side. "Wow."

"Right?" Joe grins in agreement as he looked around the large room, occasionally greeted by a coworker. He just started at the security firm at the beginning of the year, so this was his first Christmas party. He had been warned that his boss liked to go all out, but this was even more extravagant than he expected.

"Dance with me?" She practically begs as he laughs, nodding as he led her to where other people were already dancing. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he placed his on her lower back, pulling her body against his. "Thanks for bringing me."

"Of course." He smiled down at her, her big golden-brown eyes staring back up at him. It had been a little more than 6 months since he asked her out in a small coffee shop and she said yes. She had been sitting in the back, her face in her laptop, auburn hair hanging in her face.

When he found out about her job she had to pay for school, at first he was fine with it. He was all for women doing whatever they liked with their own bodies. But as their time together went on, he became increasingly jealous of the time she spent with other men. Were they better than him? More well-endowed? Did she have more fun with them?

Cassidy sees the wheels turning in Joe's head as his eyes fall to her heart necklace once more. She sighs, rolling her eyes. "It's just a gift. You have no trouble when a client gives me electronics or certificates to expensive restaurants. Or lingerie. They are meaningless as my relationship with them."

He frowns, grabbing the pendant in his hand. "This doesn't really seem meaningless. That meaningless gift is worth well over ten k."

She scoffs, knocking his hand away from her. "You said you were okay with what I do. That it is my choice..."

"I was! I... am..."

August turns away from his wife, Sara, and looks out over the guests that were dancing and laughing. He brings his drink up to his lips as his eyes fall on auburn hair. He pauses, freezing in his spot as the auburn hair moves, uncovering a mole on the shoulder surrounded by creamy white skin. White skin he knew every inch of by now. He set his drink down on the table beside him and moved like a moth to a flame toward his Candy where she danced with one of his employees.