Thirty-Six

"Have you told him?" Was all Lloyd could muster as Cassie scoffed, yanking it out of his hand to shove it back into her pocket.

"No! Why do you think I'm here, Lloyd?"

"What are you going to do?" He asked awkwardly, suddenly unsure of what to do or say; definitely not something he was used to feeling.

"I don't know," she relented with a loud groan, stalking down the hall to his bedroom. She crawled into the bed as he scoffed, watching her from the doorway.

"What are you doing?! You can't stay here. August will murder me."

Cassie laughed, popping another piece of candy into her mouth. "Not so cocky now, are you?"

Lloyd scowled, approaching her on the bed and taking a seat beside her. "Talk to me, what exactly is the problem here?"

She shrugged shyly, avoiding his gaze as she heard him sigh. "I don't want to talk about it..."

He laughed, grabbing her shoulder as she tried to turn away from him on the bed. "Well too fucking bad. You showed up here at my apartment. We are talking about this. If he doesn't even know yet, then what's the problem? You can choose to not tell him."

"Ugh!" She whined, pulling the blanket over her head. "I know I can. But I don't know if I want to. Hence why I'm here."

Lloyd shook his head, even more confused than he was before as he yanked the cover off her head. "You don't know if you want to tell him? Meaning... you want to keep it?"

She scoffed at Lloyd's shocked tone at the thought of her wanting to keep the baby that she never planned for growing inside her. "I didn't think so... not until I saw those little lines. But I don't know! You think I would be a terrible mom? Is that it?"

Lloyd laughed, stopping abruptly when he noticed her eyes welling up with tears. "No! Look, if August can be a parent, anyone can be." He sighed, pulling her into his chest and wrapping his arms tightly around her. "I just meant; I thought that August didn't want any more kids..."

"He doesn't," she mumbled softly. "We already discussed the fact that we didn't want any kids..." She glanced up at him, continuing softly. "What if he thinks I did it on purpose because I want his money." She frowned as Lloyd began to laugh again, this time stopping with a cough when she hit him hard in the stomach. "It's not funny!"

He cleared his throat, his left hand rubbing his stomach. "Come on Cass. You aren't Sara. August knows that. If you want to keep the baby, then you owe it to him to at least tell him."

"I'll think about it," she relented softly, relaxing into his chest once more.

"Or... we could run away together and I'll help you raise the little monster," Lloyd offered with a small chuckle as Cassie rolled her eyes. She smacked him once more on the chest this time as he grunted. "Hey! I was serious!"

"I know. Hence the smack. Now be quiet and let me sleep," she demanded softly, closing her eyes.

***

Lloyd scowled at the wet towel on the bed as he stepped inside his bedroom. He scooped it up angrily, crossing the room to the bathroom to swing the door open.

"Lloyd!" Cassie grabbed his robe from behind the door and pulled it on quickly to cover her naked form.

"Oh please, pumpkin spice, I've seen every inch of you naked plenty of times. Don't be going all prude on me now." He tossed the towel into the laundry basket and crossed his arms over his chest as she did the same. "It's been three days, Cass... August has begun to call me every other hour. I can't lie to him or keep him at bay anymore. Are you going home or not?"

She frowned, shrugging. Just as she opened her mouth to respond, a loud knock resounded on Lloyd's apartment door.

"Fucking finally..." Lloyd muttered, slamming the bathroom door as he left to answer the door. Before he could say anything, August burst inside angrily.

"Where is she? You said you knew where Cassie is..."

Lloyd sighed, holding his hands up in front of him. "Don't be mad... It wasn't me..."

"What wasn't you?" August asked angrily, pushing Lloyd back to pin him up against the wall with his arm across his throat.

"You called August?!" Cassie shouted, entering the kitchen in fresh clothes as August turned his head toward her.

Lloyd only gasped; his airway slowly being crushed by August as he turned his vitriol back to Lloyd. "Did you take her?"

"Let him go," Cassie stated casually as if Lloyd wasn't only a few seconds from blacking out. She hopped onto the counter as August released Lloyd, causing him to fall onto the floor, clutching at his neck, coughing.

"What are you doing here?" August asked, trying to mask the pained expression at the thought of Cassie wanting to be with Lloyd over him.

She sighed, frowning as her eyes began to well up, silently holding her arms up to him as he quickly reciprocated, pulling her against his chest where they both knew she belonged. "Take me home."

Lloyd scoffed, watching August carry her out of his apartment as he climbed to his feet. "You're welcome..."