Thirty-Seven

August's anger only grew as Cassie sat silently beside him, staring out the window. His fists clung to the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white as tried to patiently wait for her to begin to speak. Finally, when he could take no more silence, he gripped the steering wheel and pulled the car sharply to the side of the road, ignoring the onslaught of horns honking as he slammed the car into park and stared at Cassie.

She turned back to him with a look of horror and annoyance. "What are you doing?! Are you fucking insane?"

"Oh! So she does fucking talk!" August yelled, causing Cassie to shrink away from him slightly. "What is going on? Did you fuck Lloyd?"

"Oh my god!" She scoffed, turning away from him to climb out of the car, walking along the side of the highway, her arms crossed firmly across her chest.

August growled, rolling down the passenger window as he inched along the side of the road beside her. "That's all you have to say?"

"That's all you are worried about? Whether I fucked Lloyd?" Cassie countered with a huff, rolling her eyes as she continued walking.

"What else should I be thinking after you left me for him?" August shook his head, staring at her through the window. "Tell me why you left!"

Cassie stopped abruptly, turning back toward the car window. "Because I'm pregnant, Auggie!"

"Wha—" August slammed the brakes on the car, putting it back into park before hopping out. He placed himself firmly in front of her, refusing to let her move past him as she hung her head down. "What did you say?"

Cassie fidgeted, dropping her arms to her sides as August gently grabbed her chin, lifting it up toward him. "You heard me. And I already know how you feel..." she began, her eyes already wet, her throat already tight with emotion. "So... you don't have to be involved."

August in took a sharp breath of air, momentarily stunned as he felt Cassie brush past him. A mix of emotions swirled inside him; the excitement at the possibility of a baby with Cassie and the sinking feeling at the thought of never getting to meet them. "Wait..." He turned around to find her still walking away from him. "Wait!"

Cassie ignored August's shouting as tears now flowed freely from her eyes, down her cheeks onto the pavement below. She felt August grab her arm, forcing her to face him as he gripped her arms. "Leave me alone..." she mumbled, sniffling, refusing to look up at him.

"Cass... doll... look at me." His voice was low now; soft but commanding as she hesitated before bringing her eyes up to meet his. "You didn't think I would want the baby?"

"I thought that you would think that I got pregnant on purpose like Sara did..."

August groaned, hanging his head down in shame for a moment before pulling her tightly against his chest. "Cassie, you're not her for one. For two, I love you. I know it isn't what we wanted or planned, but I'm not letting you go."

"Even if I decide I want to keep it?" She asks timidly, glancing up at him as he gazed down at her. "I never wanted to be a mom because I had a shitty one. But when I saw those pink lines... I don't know Auggie. Something shifted in me..."

"Doll, look..." August sighed, pulling away from her to ensure she hears him, cradling her face in his hands. "I never wanted to be a father. But Simon means everything to me. And sure, I said I didn't want any more kids. But if you want to have this baby, I want to have it with you. I love you. I would never let you do it alone."

"Really?" She persisted, her mouth now forming a small smile as August laughed.

"Yes!" He sighed, opening his mouth to say something else when they both turned their attention to the sound of a police siren. August rolled his eyes, grabbing Cassie's hand as a police car approached them slowly and a cop climbed out of the front seat. "Can I help you officer?"

"Someone called about some sort of altercation on the side of the road." The officer looked only at Cassie, trying to assess the situation as she wiped away her tears with her free hand. "I wanted to make sure everything was alright. Are you alright, Miss?"

"She's fine," August responded for her quickly, moving slightly in front of her to take a protective stance as Cassie rolled her eyes.

"I was asking the young woman..." The officer narrowed his eyes at August who tensed slightly beside Cassie before she nudged him out of the way.

She stood in front of him, facing the officer. "I'm okay, officer."

"Are you sure?" The officer inched closer to them slowly with his hands resting on his belt near his gun.

"Yes," she answered with a laugh, waving her hands in the air. "Pregnancy hormones is all. We were just heading home."

"Oh." The officer laughed, a smile forming on his face as he glanced between August and Cassie. "I know how that goes. And you're sure you aren't in any danger?" He asked Cassie once more, ignoring the annoyed sigh from August as he did.

"Yes," she chuckled. "I promise I'm not. I'm sorry for making you come out here."

"Don't worry about it." He sighed, nodding at them both, this time turning his attention to August. "Take her home. Keep your domestic disputes at home. Ginger and lemon tea usually made my wife feel better when she was feeling especially hormonal with our first son..." he offered with a smile, still looking at August.

August grunted as Cassie hit him in the chest, forcing him to respond. "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind." Once they were back in the car and he had pulled off the side of the road, he scoffed. "Telling me how to take care of you."

Cassie laughed, rolling her eyes. "Are you going to take care of me? Or are you going to pay someone else to do it?"

August scoffed, offended as he squeezed her thigh, smiling as it elicited a squeal from her. "Of course, I am."

"You need to apologize to Lloyd..."

"For what?!" He shouted in an exasperated tone, attempting to remove his hand from her thigh.

She placed her hand on his, keeping it in place as she sighed. "For almost killing him? He was just taking care of me for a few days. And he never touched me. I promise."

"Fine," August huffed with a scowl on his face, ignoring her giggle beside him.