Eleven

Cassidy swung open the door to her apartment to find Joe standing there, on the verge of knocking. "Wow, Cass, you look beautiful. Is this for me?"

His compliment fell flat as she rolled her eyes, swiftly donning her coat over the alluring black dress Mr. Pink had left for her to wear. She felt desirable in the deep v-neckline and open back of the dress, but she had no intention of wasting it on Joe. Brushing past him, she shut the door firmly behind her. "No, I'm going out."

"Going out? Dressed like that? Where to?" He grabbed her arm, forcing her to face him as they approached the elevator.

Cassidy evaded his questions, her irritation palpable as she stepped onto the elevator with him. "Why are you even here?" she retorted, sidestepping his inquiries.

"I wanted to see my girlfriend. I thought we could have dinner. Where are you going?"

She scoffed, shaking her head, stepping away from him as he attempted to plant a kiss on her cheek. "Now you want to see me? You've been ignoring me for weeks. And you forgot Valentine's Day..."

"Shit..." Joe muttered, a smile creeping across his face. "I'm sorry, baby. I didn't think it was your thing. Can we have a redo?"

"Not tonight," Cassidy sighed, her frustration with his persistent pursuit of her affection evident.

He released her arm as they exited the elevator. "Why not? I can make it up to you if you give me another chance..."

Cassidy repeated her refusal, turning away from him as she stepped out onto the sidewalk in front of the building.

"Hey, hey... Where are you going?" He rushed toward her, his grip on her arm tightening as he realized her intentions. "You have a job tonight, don't you?" His words were laced with contempt as Cassidy winced, trying to free herself from his grasp.

"Yes, I do," she replied, finally yanking her arm away from him as her Uber arrived at the curb. "I'm going to be late. We can talk about this another time."

"Fucking slut..." Joe muttered under his breath as she gasped, climbing into the back of the car just before the door slammed shut.

She shook her head, attempting to shake off the hurtful words he had thrown at her, so she could mentally prepare for her evening with Mr. Pink as the car pulled away from the curb.

***

Cassidy emerged from the car to find Mr. Pink waiting for her, dressed in khakis and a ribbed short-sleeved sweater. She couldn't help but tease him, noting, "I feel overdressed."

Lloyd responded with a smirk and extended his arm, gently pressing a kiss to her cheek as she took it. "Hello, my pumpkin spice." Her giggle was met with a warm smile as they headed toward the building. "So, this is a party for me and my friends from Harvard. We have a party every year. I didn't want to show up all alone."

"Poor Mr. Pink," Cassidy quipped, her tone playful. "Needed a pretty girl on his arm so his friends didn't tease him?"

Lloyd laughed at her teasing, and they paused just inside the lobby. He turned to assist her out of her coat and continued the banter. "Oh, they'll still tease. But I won't care. You know why?" He handed over her coat and clutch to the coat check, his voice laced with a suggestive tone.

"Why?" Cassidy inquired, her flirty smile evident as she faced him.

"Because I'm the one who will be teasing your pretty pink pussy later," Lloyd declared, lifting her chin with a smirk, causing her cheeks to flush. "Do you like the dress?"

"I love it." Cassidy blushed further as she closed her eyes, expecting a kiss that didn't come. "Rude."

Lloyd chuckled, offering her his arm once more. "My name is Lloyd. Don't call me Mr. Pink. What shall I call you? Should I use Candy?"

"Cass or Cassidy," she suggested, and he nodded in approval before stopping abruptly just outside the door to the large lounge. Cassidy froze, following his gaze to the bruises that were beginning to appear on her arm, a painful reminder of Joe's aggression. "Who did that?!"

Cassidy hesitated, her eyes briefly flickering down to the bruises before she looked back at Lloyd. "Oh, it's nothing."

"It's not nothing," Lloyd stated firmly, his expression transforming into one of anger, a side of him Cassidy hadn't seen before.

"He... my boyfriend accidentally grabbed my arm a little too hard is all."

"Uh huh," Lloyd muttered, his jaw clenched as he ran his fingers gently over her arm before turning back around and leading her into the bustling lounge. The room was filled with people engrossed in conversations, enjoying their drinks, while the background music added to the ambiance.

August's conversation halted abruptly when he spotted Lloyd entering the party with Cassidy on his arm. He excused himself tersely, his jaw clenched as he downed his glass of whiskey, placing it on a passing waiter's tray. His gaze remained locked on Lloyd, who wore an amused smirk, and Cassidy, who appeared bewildered, as he approached them. "You brought her here?"

Cassidy shifted her gaze back and forth between August and Lloyd, sensing the tension and conflict between the two men, despite not knowing they had any connection at all.