Thirty-Eight

"Ugh! Why do they always take so long?!" August grumbled, pacing the small examination room as Cassidy observed him.

She reached out, clasping his hand to halt his pacing beside her. "Stop it! You're making me nervous. This is what they do... women are always forced to wait at the doctors. You're just nervous because we find out the sex today."

August paused, squeezing her hand in return as he eased up, her smile comforting him. He nodded, lifting her hand to his lips to plant a small kiss on her knuckles. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"I like soft Auggie," she teased with a playful glint in her eyes as he chuckled, leaning closer to her.

"Soft?" he queried, the undertones evident as she blushed, playfully pushing him away just as the door opened, revealing a male doctor she hadn't met before.

"Hello. I'm Doctor Morgan. But you can call me, Henry."

August positioned himself between Cassidy and Henry, causing the latter to halt, gazing up at August who stood tall over him. "You aren't her regular doctor. Her usual doctor is Doctor Bane, Doctor Linda Bane."

He emphasized her first name, conveying the message that her usual doctor was a woman, while Cassidy groaned, attempting to grab August's arm to pull him back. Before she could intervene, Henry chuckled. "Yes, that's correct. Doctor Bane was called into an emergency c-section. I'm filling in for her today. No need to worry."

"August," Cassidy's firm, warning tone caught his attention, and he grumbled but relented, stepping back to her side, allowing her to grasp his hand once more.

Henry glanced between them with a small smirk before continuing. "Alright. I just need to take some measurements for the baby. Then we can find out the sex if you'd like?" He looked at Cassidy, awaiting her enthusiastic nod of approval before proceeding. "After that, you can head home."

Cassidy lifted her shirt as Henry gently lowered the top of her pants, revealing her expanding belly, all while August glared at him, his entire demeanor tense. Cassidy rolled her eyes, shooting him a glance as Henry began to measure her stomach, his touch testing August's patience. Finally, Henry stepped away with a smile. "Everything okay?"

Henry nodded, easing Cassidy's worries with a grin. "Everything looks good. Baby is right on track for 20 weeks. Now, let's find out the sex."

Cassidy felt August relax once more as the image of their unborn child appeared on the screen. They watched eagerly as Henry conducted more measurements before turning back to them, adjusting the wand on her stomach. Cassidy heard August gasp slightly, prompting her to search for the cause.

"It's a girl?" August asked, confirming his suspicion as tears welled up in Cassidy's eyes.

"That's right," Henry confirmed. "Looks like you're having a girl. And she looks great. Perfectly healthy." He printed off a few photos and handed them to Cassidy and August before wiping the gel from her stomach with a warm cloth. "I'll give you guys a few minutes. Take your time."

"Thank you, doctor," Cassidy offered with a hint of gratitude, her focus fixed on the tiny photo of her daughter. "A girl..." she whispered in wonder as August nodded beside her.

He leaned down, pressing a kiss to her cheek before capturing her lips. Pulling away, he rested his forehead against hers. "What should we name her?"

***

Cassidy gazed at August, observing the hesitation in his movements as their night came to an end. As she settled onto the soft bed, he finally broke the peaceful silence with a soft utterance of her name.