Twenty-Nine

"So, I figured Simon could have the largest room on the second floor. And the room beside it can be his playroom. And then the other bedroom can just be a guest bedroom and my office is on the second floor too," August explained as he led Cassidy up the stairs to the fourth floor.

"Oh my god, there's another floor?" Cassidy laughed as he pulled her into the large room on the top floor, which was filled with light from the street from the large windows. "Wow, I bet this room gets great natural light."

"I know. I thought you could use it as your studio..."

"My studio?" She asked, releasing his hand as she checked out the large space. "Wow..."

"Yeah. You said that you wanted an art gallery, right? I thought that you could work on your art here."

"I didn't tell you I made art or painted," she responded amusedly as she turned back to face him, finding him watching her.

"I know. You didn't have to."

Cassidy threw her arms around his neck, and he lifted her to him, kissing her passionately. "This is amazing, Auggie. This is the best gift ever." She buried her nose in his neck, inhaling his scent. "Thank you."

"There's more," he said with a smirk. "But that is for tomorrow. Let's eat dinner. I'm starving."

"Me too," she responded with a giggle, letting him lead her once more by the hand downstairs to the kitchen where he warmed up the food from Brady. "If we're going to do this, I think we should talk about a few things. Like expectations?"

August turned back to her, setting food in front of her as she poured them both some wine at the kitchen island counter. "Expectations?"

She nodded, feeling a bit nervous all of a sudden as she glanced up at him while he took a seat beside her. "I don't want to have kids, Auggie. And I don't want to feel like I'm just your live-in plaything. I don't mind our games in the bedroom, but outside of that, I want to be seen as your equal. So, if you just see me as an incubator for more little Walkers, then you should find someone else."

August laughed, much to Cassidy's annoyance as he turned on his stool. He grabbed her stool and forced her to face him. "Look, I told you that I love you. I've only said that to two people in my whole life. You and my son... I never wanted kids, Cass. I love Simon more than anything, but I never wanted to be a dad and I don't want any more kids. But I need to know right now if you have a problem with Simon because we are a packaged deal, Cassidy."

She groaned, shaking her head as she brought her hands up to his chest. "No! I love Simon, August! I know you guys come together. I just mean I don't want any other kids..."

"Good." He nodded, leaning toward her to plant a kiss on her lips. "Then the other thing... baby girl, I do see you as my equal. Outside of the bedroom." He emphasized the last part with a wink as she giggled. "I want you to establish your own life and be your own person. I just want you to share that path with me. Okay?"

"Okay... how's it going with your divorce?" She asked as they both turned back to their food to begin eating.

"Well," he began with a sigh. "I've been generous with my offer. So far, she's agreed to everything, but we haven't settled on custody."

"Do you plan on splitting it evenly?"

"That's the plan..." He hesitated with his fork on the plate. "We need to discuss Joe..."

She tensed slightly at the mention of Joe's name as she groaned. "I haven't heard from him in a while."

"I know. I got him arrested..."

"You did?!" Her eyes widened in surprise as she dropped her fork to turn to him. "What?"

"Well... it was easy enough to trace the video back to him. He may think he's good, but I'm better. But I knew that wasn't enough to keep him away from you permanently. So..."

"What did you do?" She asked cautiously as he smiled mischievously.

"I made it look like he stole money from the company. Enough money for it to be a felony and put him away for a long time."

"You did that for me?"

"And for me. I don't like the fact that he touched you. That he harassed you. I wanted him gone for me just as much as I wanted him gone for you." He grabbed her, pulling her to her feet and positioning her between his legs as he wrapped his arms around her. "You're mine and only mine..."

Cassidy grinned, wrapping her arms around his neck and resting her head against his. "As long as you're only mine."

"I don't want to be anyone else's Cassidy. I love you."

"I love you too. Thank you, August. I'm glad we're on the same page about everything." She climbed onto his lap, wrapping her legs around him and captured his lips with hers, causing him to groan.

August pulled away, setting her back on her stool, eliciting a whimper from her as he did. He chuckled, pointing to her plate. "Eat your dinner. You're going to need energy for the next round."