Four

Cassidy smoothed her hands down the thin fabric of her pistachio-colored silk dress as Joe helped her out of the car. She accepts his hand, linking her fingers through his as he led her into the house. A man in a black suit took their coats and her clutch and Joe grabbed her hand once more as he led her into the lounge, talking to some of his coworkers.

August stepped into the room, his eyes immediately falling on Cassidy in a form-fitting silk dress. It hugged her curves perfectly with a slit up the left side and a plunging neckline. He tensed, gritting his teeth, knowing that she was intentionally trying to provoke him.

Cassidy felt August's eyes on her before he came into her line of view. He sauntered in cockily, the way he entered every room he walked into. She kept her chin lifted as he approached and Joe turned them toward him.

"Mr. Walker, thank you so much for inviting us."

"Of course," August asserts, not taking his eyes off Cassidy but a brief moment to shake Joe's hand. "And I told you; call me August."

"Yes, of course," Joe mumbled, embarrassed as his face turned red.

"There is champagne in the kitchen. Why don't you go and get your date here something to drink." He suggested in a way that told Joe is was a command. He kept his eyes on Cassidy as Joe disappeared. "You look... sensational, Candy."

"It's Cassidy," she spits, glancing around to make sure no one heard him. Her eyes landed on his once more as she cocked her head to the side. "Do you like my dress?" She teased him, placing her hands behind her back, puffing out her chest as his eyes fell to her breasts, his jaw ticking as he did.

"Oh doll. Don't play with me," he threatened, his eyes dark when they finally fell back onto her eyes.

"Or what?" She whispered, clenching her thighs together as Joe appeared, handing her a flute of champagne. She wore the dress to provoke him, but otherwise, she hadn't planned on provoking him further. But as she stood in front of him, seeing how wound up he was, she couldn't help but tease. And a part of her, a large part, wanted him to whisk her away to carry out his silent threat. "Thank you, babe." She turned to smile at Joe, leaning up to press a kiss to his lips. When she pulled back, she caught sight of August again, glaring daggers at her.

"Of course." Joe rested his hand on her lower back as she sipped her drink and he turned his attention to August. "I ju--"

"There plenty of food." August interrupted, causing Joe to tense and stop talking. "Make sure you eat something. Excuse me." August turned abruptly on his heels, crossing the room to where his wife, Sara was chatting with another couple.

"Well, that was rude." Cassidy pointed out, knowing fully well it was her that had bothered August. She smirked, finishing her champagne as she turned back to Joe beside her.

"He is a bit gruff." He sighs, shaking it off as he grabs her empty glass to hand to a passing waiter. "Are you hungry?"

"A little, yeah."

Joe nodded and made his way over to a table laden with snacks and cold appetizers. The music from the DJ started up and the room began to fill with chatter as people danced and drank.

***

They managed to avoid August for a while, dancing and eating and chatting with some of Joe's other coworkers. Around 11, she has to use the bathroom, excusing herself from Joe's side to stand in the long line outside the downstairs bathroom.

"There's a bathroom upstairs you can use. Last door on the left," Sara offers to Cassidy quietly as she leaned in behind her.

Cassidy turned to her with a smile. "Oh my gosh, thanks. I've had a bit too much champagne."