Sixteen

"Happy early birthday, pumpkin," Lloyd's voice oozed with amusement as he raised his hand and delivered a sharp slap across Travis's face, jolting him awake. "Rise and shine!"

Cassidy instinctively retreated into August's protective embrace, her eyes wide with shock as she watched Travis groggily lift his head and scan the room. "How long has he been here?"

Lloyd waved off the question casually as he sauntered over to a table in the corner, where an array of sinister-looking tools awaited. "Only about a week. I've been keeping him alive, just barely."

"You guys have been tormenting him?"

"Well, tormenting is more Lloyd's expertise. But when I heard about what he did to you, I couldn't resist joining in," August remarked with chilling nonchalance.

"Catie..." Travis mumbled weakly as August forcefully pushed Cassidy away, closing the distance to the captive.

"Don't you dare look at her!" August's fist shot forward, connecting with Travis's nose and sending a spray of blood across the room, prompting a horrified gasp from Cassidy.

Meanwhile, Lloyd approached her, extending a knife toward her. "Care to join the festivities?"

"What?! No!" Cassidy pressed herself against the wall, her escape route blocked. Panic surged through her. "What's your plan here?"

Lloyd shrugged, a sardonic smirk dancing on his lips. "He won't be leaving here alive, that's for sure."

"Y-you're going to kill him?"

"The world is better off without him. Don't you agree, doll?" August's voice took on a softer, more soothing tone as he approached Travis. Lloyd, with a twisted grin, began to carve a long, cruel gash into Travis's arm.

Cassidy hesitated, her breaths coming in shallow gasps. "Yes," she admitted with a tremor in her voice, her gaze fixed on the gruesome scene before her. "He tormented me for years. It started when he moved in when I was just 7..." Both men stood silently, seething with anger, as Cassidy recounted her harrowing experiences. "It didn't start out sexual, but it didn't take long to escalate. I used to cry out for my mom, but it was always in vain. When she wasn't high, she'd just stand there in the doorway, watching, never doing anything..."

"Cass..." August's voice cracked, his hand trembling as he reached out to touch her, but she swiftly brushed his hand away.

"Don't touch me... I just want to go home."

"I warned you this was a terrible idea," August hissed at Lloyd, who merely shrugged.

Lloyd moved August aside, standing before Cassidy and cupping her tear-streaked face with his hands. "Look at me. This is your chance for closure. The chance to never have to look over your shoulder again. Never wondering if he'll reappear, or if he'll come after you."

She sniffled, pondering his words as he gently released her and placed a knife in her trembling hand. "Don't force her into this, Lloyd," August cautioned.

"I'm not forcing her. It's her choice."

"You don't have to do this, doll."

Cassidy nodded, her gaze not meeting theirs as she walked more confidently toward Travis. She seized his hair, lifting his head to make him meet her gaze. "You destroyed my childhood... you're the reason I had no friends... you're the reason I left as soon as I turned 18... you're the reason I couldn't let another man touch me until I was nearly 20." With determination, she plunged the knife into his abdomen, surprised at how it slid through his flesh. She turned back to Lloyd and handed him the knife. "Make him suffer. August, take me home."

***

August glanced over at Cassidy as he parked the car in the underground garage beneath her apartment building. The drive back had been eerily quiet. Since leaving the warehouse, they had made a quick stop at the hotel to retrieve her belongings, and now, she stared out the window, still wrapped in her own thoughts. He released his seatbelt and leaned over to undo hers, his concern growing. "Doll... come on."

She accepted his hand as he walked around the car to open her door. They entered her apartment in silence. Cassidy removed her shoes meticulously, placing them neatly on a small shelf beside the door. Her voice trembled as she finally spoke, her eyes still distant. "Will you stay with me for a while?"

"Of course," August replied, his voice gentle. He kicked off his shoes when they reached her bedroom, closing the door behind them as he joined her in bed.

"I know I should be angrier about you invading my privacy, but—"

"But you find it endearing?" August interjected, a teasing glint in his eyes, making her chuckle for the first time that morning.

"No, it's incredibly invasive, overbearing, and controlling... But," she sighed, allowing him to pull her close against his chest, "thank you."

He chuckled softly, pressing a kiss to the top of her head as she nestled against him. "I would do anything to protect you."

Cassidy started to say something, but their conversation was abruptly interrupted by a knock at the apartment door. "Stay in here," she told August, climbing out of bed. She closed the bedroom door quietly behind her, leaving August alone.

Joe stood on the other side of the apartment door. "Cassidy... I was hoping we could hang out. I have a free day."

Cassidy scoffed, her arms crossed over her chest, refusing to let him in. "You mean your other girlfriend is busy?" She watched his surprise and tension, but he chuckled, shaking his head.

"What are you talking about?"

Rolling her eyes, Cassidy pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Cut the act. You're a terrible liar. I don't care. But we're done."

"What?! No! She meant nothing. What's the difference? You sleep with other men all the time!"

"It's a job! It's not romantic!" Cassidy shouted, her voice echoing through the apartment. She was aware that things were starting to feel different with August, even if she wasn't ready to admit it to herself. "Just go away." She slammed the door before he could respond, ignoring his persistent knocks as she returned to the bedroom and crawled back into bed with August. Eventually, the knocks subsided.

"Not romantic?" August finally asked, and Cassidy laughed, looking up at him.

"I think I might be okay with you being my only client... But I don't want it to feel like you're my client..."

August chuckled, rolling her onto her back with a smirk. "Then I won't be. I'll take care of you, and we'll be together."

"What about your wife?"

He sighed, his fingers idly tracing the hem of her shirt at her waist. "I don't know yet. I'll figure something out..."