Thirty-Five

August closed the door to Simon's door softly after reading him a story at the end of the night. He checked his watch, suddenly beginning to worry about Cassidy not returning home yet. They had only recently came to a new agreement about him backing off and giving her space. He entered the bedroom and noticed her phone on the dresser with a small note.

Something came up and I need time to think.
I'm okay. I'm sorry.
-C

"What the fuck?!" He shouted, crinkling the small piece of paper in his hand and tossing it back onto the dresser. Quickly retrieving his phone from his pocket, he dialed Nate's number, pacing impatiently as it rang.

"Hello...? August? Wha—" Nate's confused voice filled the line as August clenched his fist tightly, stopping at the end of the bed.

"Where is Cassidy? Is she there with you?"

"Cass? No... Why would she be here—"

"Don't fucking lie to me!" August spurred, his face red with anger as he scowled, trying to keep his voice down to not alert Simon.

"She's not here, August. What is goin—"

August scoffed and hung up the phone quickly as he came to an abrupt stop at the end of the bed. He unlocked Cassie's phone and took a seat on the edge of the bed. Quickly he began to search through it for any sort of hint of where she could have gone, but came up with nothing. Rolling his eyes, he ignored a call from Nate to Cassie's phone as he returned to his own phone once more. Tapping his foot on the floor impatiently, he waited for the voice on the other side.

"Yes?"

August rolled his eyes at Lloyd's annoyed tone as his pinched the bridge of his nose. "Have you heard from Cassie?"

Lloyd's teasing laugh filled his ears, "Cassie? Why? Has she up and left you already?" August growled, prompting Lloyd to clear his throat, adjusting his tone. "What's the matter?"

"I don't know where Cassie is," August stated plainly, imagining all the ways he could kill Lloyd the next time he saw him. "She never came home today and left me a note with her phone..."

"A note? What did the note say?"

"Only that something came up and she needed some time to think. What does she mean, think? What came up? Tell me what you know, Lloyd..."

Lloyd laughed, this time more of a scoff of annoyance as he ended it with a sigh. "Don't you think that Cassie is smart enough to know that you would contact me first? Why would she come here? Did you find anything on her phone... I assume you looked at it?"

"I did," he confirmed, "but I didn't find anything. I need to know right now if you have heard from her or not."

After a moment of hesitation, Lloyd sighed once more. "Of course I haven't. I would tell you if I had. I will see if I can find her. I'm sure she's fine."

"She better fucking be. Find her!"

***

Lloyd sighed at the sound of August yelling before hanging up. He turned around toward Cassie as she sat on his couch with a expression normally saved for children that knew they were in troubled. "Now, can you tell me why I just lied to August and what you are doing here? Did he hurt you? Do you need me to kill him?"

Cassie laughed, calming slightly as Lloyd just look at her even more confused. "As if you could."

"I could kill him!" He scoffed, shrugging slightly at the small dig as he mumbled, "maybe not in hand to hand combat..."

Cassie sighed and shook her head. "Of course he hasn't hurt me... not in anyway I don't like anyways..."

Lloyd perched himself in front of her, a cocky grin on his face as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Get tired of the brute? Switching sides? Coming back to Mr. Pink?" He teased, winking at her as she giggled.

"No," she answered quickly, slightly wounding his ego as she did. She avoided his gaze, pushing past him to enter his kitchen, rummaging through his fridge. "I just... needed some space is all."

"So what are you doing here then?"

"I didn't have anywhere else to go..." she muttered softly.

Lloyd cleared his throat, leaning against a counter as he watched her silently rummage through his cabinets next until she found his candy stash. She pulled out the basket and began to pull small bags out. "Hey! You can't just come up in here and begin to steal all my candy. What are you doing here, Candy?" He repeated as he nudged her aside, handing her a small bag of gummy worms before storing the basket back into the cabinet.

"I missed you?" She responded, chewing on the corner of her mouth as she attempted to open the small bag of candy. After shoving a few worms into her mouth in silence while Lloyd stared at her, waiting, she finally groaned, slamming the bag onto the counter. "Okay. Fine!"

Lloyd watched her reach into her back pocket, pulling something from it before handing it to him. "Oh shit..." he whispered, looking down at his hand...