Nine

TW: sexual assault

Joe's nerves were palpable as he glanced up at August approaching his desk on a Friday afternoon after lunch. "Mr. Walker..." Joe's voice quivered, his face reddening as he stumbled over his words to apologize before managing to mutter, "August."

"I'm going out tonight with a few other guys from the office. It's a special, private gathering we arrange once a month or so. Would you be interested in joining us?"

Joe studied August's demeanor, recognizing the unspoken undertones behind the invitation. He was conscious that accepting would not only mark his inclusion in a secretive inner circle but could also be a pivotal moment for his career within the company. He seized the opportunity with a large grin. "Yes, of course!" Eager excitement laced his response, and he rose from his desk, extending his hand toward August.

"Excellent. I'll text you the details. Remember, dress smartly. Jackets are mandatory, but ties are optional." August's hand enveloped Joe's, his other hand resting atop their joined hands. "Although, they could prove quite handy." A wink punctuated his words before he pivoted to leave the office, a smug grin curving his lips.

***

Joe entered the club, his identification checked by the front bouncer before he was led to a secluded back room. Inside, August was engaged in conversation and drinks with four other men. The room had an intimate ambiance, its arrangement featuring couches arranged in a 'u' shape, centered around a large glass coffee table. A compact stage with a pole at its heart occupied one end of the room, while a door loomed behind it.

Accepting a drink, Joe settled into a seat that faced August, causing the conversations to halt as the group's attention focused on him. Joe's gaze shifted to the man positioned at August's right, a person he didn't recognize from their office. He inadvertently met the man's gaze, eliciting a scowl from the mustached individual.

August's authoritative voice then initiated the proceedings. "What happens within these walls remains here," he declared, setting down his whiskey glass on the table before him. The other men shifted their attention to Joe. "It's a rule that everyone must adhere to."

"Alright--" His words were abruptly cut off as several women entered the room from a distant wall, their attire spanning an array of lingerie. A realization dawned on him, and he comprehended the nature of this gathering. His voice trailed off into a surprised, "Oh..."

Suddenly, his surroundings became vividly clear as an alluring dark-haired woman approached him, her presence commanding his attention as she took hold of his hands, placing them on her waist before she moved to straddle him. "I have a girlfriend," Joe managed to stammer, his gaze locked onto the woman's blue eyes.

Laughter erupted among the men, and August nonchalantly shrugged. "We're all either married or attached," he remarked. A pause followed, and he playfully nudged his friend to the left as a woman settled onto his lap. "All of us, except for Lloyd, that is. But this is precisely why I emphasized the rule about confidentiality. You understand?"

"Yes, sir," Joe agreed, his consent given just before the woman leaned in to nip at his earlobe, drawing a soft groan from him.

August's gaze shifted to Lloyd, a silent exchange between them through a subtle nod. August sought confirmation if Lloyd had executed the task as requested, and the affirmative nod he received was enough assurance. Returning his attention to the woman nestled on Joe's lap, August provided her with a subtle signal, prompting her to lead Joe toward the backroom. He had meticulously prepared, placing cameras in the room with Lloyd's assistance, all set to capture the evidence he required.

As he observed Joe being led away, August's lips curved into a bemused smile. "Easier than expected."

"Well, he's more eager for your approval than he seems concerned about his supposed girlfriend," Lloyd countered, shoving away the woman from his lap to reach for his drink.

August regarded his friend with a measured look, familiar with Lloyd's preference for beautiful women, whether they were paid or not. "Not joining in this time?"

Lloyd's nonchalant shrug carried an air of knowing, his eyes deliberately avoiding August's inquisitive gaze. "No. I'm just waiting for you to show interest in what I've uncovered about our Cassidy."

"Our Cassidy?" August's retort was laced with both irritation and possessiveness, his tone a clear declaration of ownership.

With an exasperated sigh, Lloyd raised his eyebrows in mock exasperation. "Calm the fuck down. I was just teasing. No need to get all worked up. Are you interested in hearing or not?"

"Quit beating around the bush, Lloyd..." August's impatience seeped into his words, evident in his demanding tone.

***

The overwhelming stench of tobacco and cheap vodka clawed at Cassidy's senses, triggering a nauseating reaction as the acidic taste of bile rose in her throat. She recognized the familiar heaviness settling on her chest, an ominous signal of what was to come even in the dimly lit room. Her mind raced, a whirlwind of thoughts and scenarios taking hold, while her body remained rigid, trapped by both fear and painful history.

The man, in a drunken stupor, clumsily descended upon her, and a wave of horror surged through her. Her instincts screamed for her to fight back, to scream for help, yet the bitter reality of her past experiences told her it was futile. A paralyzing helplessness enveloped her as she lay there, bracing for the nightmare she knew all too well.

A suffocating sense of dread descended, amplifying her vulnerability. The man's invasive advance, forcing his tongue into her mouth, triggered an involuntary response, making her choke and gag. His thrusts against her body were painful, each motion a searing reminder of her powerlessness. Tears threatened, forming at the corners of her eyes as she fought a losing battle, weakly struggling against his grip.

A surge of anger and humiliation fought against her fear, amplifying her desperation. His fingers dug into her skin, adding new layers of agony as he bruised her fragile form. In her torment, she finally noticed a figure lurking in the doorway, a sinister presence whose gaze conveyed indifference rather than assistance. The sight of that dark silhouette further shattered her hope, leaving her trapped in a cruel reality where there was no rescue, no salvation...

Cassidy's awakening was abrupt and distressing, her body drenched in sweat as she propelled herself toward the bathroom, where the remnants of her unsettling dream translated into reality as she retched into the toilet. She flushed it away, leaning against the cool wall as her knees pressed close to her chest, her silent tears an unspoken testament to the lingering horror of her nightmare. The ghost of that man, the one who had haunted her past, had revisited her mind once again, despite the months that had passed since she last dreamt of him.

Gathering her strength, she shook off the grip of fear, slowly rising to her feet after a few minutes. She managed to muster the courage to face her reflection, studying her own face in the mirror. Time had evolved her, transforming her from the frightened child she was when she left that dark chapter behind. Though he was miles away on the other side of the country, she couldn't entirely escape his shadow.

The first rays of the rising sun caught her attention as she returned to the bedroom, snagging her laptop on the way to the kitchen. Sleep now seemed elusive, so she opted to immerse herself in her homework, hoping to divert her mind from the harrowing thoughts that had plagued her.