Six

⸻⸻

⸻⸻⸻

⸻⸻

Here I was, one week later, helping Mayu with the table for the get-together. Since I couldn't really help her out with cooking as I was just a little 9 year old kid—not to mention, I was terrible at cooking to begin with. She told me to set the table and put the proper utensils onto it.

Though, this was unusual. Most of the time, Mayu didn't really worry so much about food since her friends would bring a lot of it over but today she was cooking.

A lot.

The smell of all the freshly cooked food made me extremely hungry and I couldn't wait till everyone showed up and began eating. I made sure to behave well whenever her friends would come over since they usually brought food just for me. It was like heaven.

"Y/N, have you finished?" Mayu yelled from the kitchen as I heard a few doors open and close, she was probably looking for something.

"Yeah! All done!" I answered as I got off the chair, satisfied with my work. A few seconds later, I heard the doorbell ringing, signaling that somebody has already arrived.

"Can you get that, honey?" Mayu asked me and I walked towards the front door. I really hoped it was Mayu's best friend, Hina. She absolutely adored me—squishing my cheeks whenever she saw me and giving me lots of baked goods, just for me!

I opened the door with a grin on my face, welcoming the first person to arrive.

"Ah, good afternoon, Y/N!" I blinked, looking up. That voice was familiar, however, it wasn't from any of the common guests. My eyes slightly widened as I saw Shindo's mother standing in front of me.

"Hello, miss." I greeted back and stood besides the door as she walked inside with Yu clutching onto her long skirt, trailing behind her, his head down.

"You are the first ones here." I said and made a small gesture for them to follow me towards the kitchen, so Mayu could see who was at the door.

"Mom's in the kitchen, she's cooking!" I grinned as I turned a corner, the delicious smell of the meal that she was preparing getting stronger as we got closer to the kitchen.

"Hey, Mayu!" Shindo's mother greeted her, making the said woman turn around. She let out a gasp of surprise before a bright smile appeared on her face,

"You came! I'm so happy!"

"Do you want any help? It looks like you're gonna be cooking all night." She chuckled before turning to her son. She crouched down to his level, which made him finally look up for the first time after he entered the house.

"Alright, Yo, mama's gonna go help her friend and you should keep Y/N some company! That kid is very sweet, don't worry." Shindo looked like he was contemplating his choices—which he didn't even have any to begin with. He let out a shaky breath but nodded. His mom grinned, ruffling his hair as she stood up.