Twenty-nine

TRIGGER WARNING: Heavy topics will be described in detail, such as: death, violence

⸻⸻

[LOADING SCENE...]

[...]

[86 HOURS BEFORE THE ATTACK]

"Listen, all I care about is getting to one certain student—nothing more, nothing less. So, let me join you! With my otherworldly abilities, victory will be assured, beyond any shadow of a doubt." The woman with long, pink hair spoke as she crossed her arms. A self-assured grin clung to her face.

"Oh? And just who is this particular student?" Dabi's voice, thick with indifference, replied. His eyes remained fixed on her form, a mix of curiosity and wariness clouding his judgment about her potential.

"L/N Y/N—Oh, right. They go by the name Kanbara here."

Dabi arched an eyebrow, and the woman pressed on.

"It's straightforward, really. All I require is to end their existence. After that, I'll make my hasty exit." She shot a sly, sidelong glance in his direction. "You're itching to know why, I can tell."

He merely shrugged, an undercurrent of unease coursing through him. She read him like an open book.

"L/N Y/N is not who you think they are. In fact, nobody knows who the real Y/N actually is! Not even the rat's family—well, at least in this dimension." She remarked before catching herself, a wry chuckle escaping her lips.

"Whoops, I've said too much."

"In this dimension? No, no. Continue. The stage is yours." Dabi was repeating the end of her sentence in his head. So, traveling through dimensions was real? This woman definitely hasn't taken her medication yet, he notes.

With a roll of her eyes and an exasperated sigh, she carried on.

"Certain hapless souls are handpicked for a project and my job is to exterminate them. All of them. L/N is one of those unfortunate people which has been yanked into this dimension. Lots of people have their eyes set on that rat and if I get rid of it now, their little entertainment show will be ruined!"

"I'm seriously not following, lady. You're outta your mind."

"Ugh, think of it as a game of tag. The rats are on the run and I'm supposed to catch all of them. If I win, I'll get to keep my head and move to my next assignment. Long story short, L/N's somewhat of a TV-star in this dimension. Being watched by beings all throughout the universe. If I tell you any more, I'll have to kill you too." She finished and Dabi took his time to process the information.

So, he was right. In a way. He mused inwardly, a dark smirk curling at the corners of his lips.

'Kanb—L/N's not from here. So, that's why they've been all secretive. How amusing.' Dabi bit the inside of his scarred cheek, feeling the cold metal press against his teeth.

"We've got a deal. I'll introduce you to the whole team." He replied and she grinned, extending her hand for a shake.

"I go by a few names, call me Karma."