Nineteen

⸻⸻

⸻⸻

I walked back into the combat area and saw Burnin' already waiting for me with two white cups in her hands. They both had colorful stars plastered all over them, adorable cups. When she saw me, she grinned and moved towards me.

"Heya! I got us some ice tea. Want it?" She asked and I shrugged. It wasn't polite to turn that down, besides hydration is very important. I don't want to pass out randomly during our fight.

"If that's okay with you. Thank you." I replied and she grinned, handing me a cup. I grab it with both hands, taking a long sip. It was very refreshing.

My eyes focus on one of the ice cubes floating in the cold tea.

'Let's hope this works.' The plan I had constructed a moment ago was pretty simple, every time I attacked I would activate the gadget to see what Burnin's next move was going to be. Or at least, try to do that for however much I can. Hopefully, there wasn't a limit to the gadget but there most likely was—it's always there. Unfortunately.

"Anytime!" She cheers before and proceeding to gulp down her whole drink, throwing her head back as she took big and fast sips. Impressive.

"Are you ready?" Burnin asked me after a while of the two of us standing around as I finished my drink. I nodded and she grinned, her teeth shinning brightly, before telling me to get ready for the next round.

I stretch my neck, cracking it as I wait for her to finish getting set up. Burnin didn't take too long and shot me a thumbs up to notify me that she was ready to begin.

I got into position, staring her down as she counted from five to zero.

"Go!" Burnin yells and I stand my ground, I thought she'd do the same, however, she immediately comes running towards me. She had fire in her eyes as she got prepared to attack me.

I felt my heartbeat increase as the worry started to build up inside of my body. I quickly pressed onto my finger, activating the gadget. Everything went black as my eyes closed automatically, and as soon as they opened; everything was in slow motion.

I watch closely as she makes her next moves. She lifts up her dominant arm, ready to swing at me as I bring my hands up and in front of my face, to protect myself. Not even a second later, she notices and changes her attack. She extends her leg, gaining my attention before swinging with her first into my face and I was barely able to dodge.

All of that happened in less than three seconds.

The moment that I had come back to my senses, I lifted my hands up out of instinct. I noticed her leg extended, however, I didn't fail for the bait now. My eyes quickly trailed back to her face and arms. She moved her dominant hand again, whilst I moved my arm in front of hers.