Thirty-two

The air felt heavy, a weight pressing down on the both of us as we stood there in silence, eyes fixed on the ground. Then, Bakugou broke the silence. I stared at him with a poker face.

"I remember hearing about the incident on the news years ago. Your mom worked at a hero agency, right?"

"Huh?" I froze. What did he just say?

"You... you heard about it?" I furrowed my eyebrows. Don't tell me...

"Yeah, there was a huge uproar about it, wasn't there? Because people found out about..." He trailed off, avoiding eye contact.

"What? What did they find?" He was taking too long to respond. I couldn't breathe. How could this be possible? Why was he taking so long to say it? It was merely a dream.

"Your dad's involvement with villains. Everyone assumed the entire family was dead, but there were a few rumors spreading around, that one of the family members changed their name and moved away."

Air.

I needed air.

"I... I have to go."

Panic surged within me. What was he saying? Was he out of his mind? The Kanbara family didn't die. My family is not dead.

That was simply a dream.

They're still here.

My family is not dead.

⸻⸻

⸻⸻

As I rushed away from the rooftop, my thoughts raced, each step pounding with the denial echoing in my mind. It couldn't be true. I needed to find them. I needed to see them, hear their voices, feel their presence. The streets blurred as I navigated through the city, driven by an urgent need to prove Bakugou wrong. The truth he laid bare was too much to bear.

But the more I ran, the more the echoes of his words persisted, haunting every step.

"Changed their name and moved away."

The city lights flickered from above. Finally, I arrived at the place where the house once stood, but all that remained were flowers—piles of them, along with gifts and cards. A haunting memorial that silently narrated a story I didn't want to confirm.

My steps faltered, and I dropped to my knees among the blossoms. The air hung heavy with the scent of grief, mingling with the fragrance of the flowers that now marked the absence of my family. It couldn't be true. This couldn't be their fate. I traced my fingers over the petals, each one a delicate reminder of a life that had once been.