Thirty-one

After all of that happened, I went onto a train to get back to my house. The world outside the window blurred into a mosaic of indistinct shapes as I tried to understand what occurred. Sure, I could've gone to the hospital but I was completely healed. And sure, I could talk to a therapist about everything that happened because—I fucking murdered someone.

And now I just have to live with this?

"Whatever though. It happened and I can't go back in time and change that, right?" I muttered to myself as I walked up to the front door of the Kanbara household, I noticed a strange car in the driveway. I had a feeling about who might be at the house now.

I didn't bother being quiet. Everyone at home knew when I was back. They were worried about me, and that was sweet.

"Y/N, you're safe!" Mayu ran towards me and gave me a tight hug. She had been calling me a lot, even though my phone stopped working. The last message I sent was something like, "Don't worry. I'll be home soon." It took a while, but I was finally back.

Yeah, it took a while but I was here now.

"Yeah. I'm guessing my teachers are here to talk with you and dad?" I asked as I took off my shoes. She nodded, filling me in on the details of what they've already told her.

But I already knew about it. The dorms situation. I'd have to live on school grounds for my own safety. This meant living with people I don't really know every single day. Not great. Just not great.

"So, did you agree?" I asked, bracing myself for Mayu's response. Her frown was a warning sign that not all was well.

"This school is far too dangerous! You got kidnapped, you almost died, Y/N!"

"But I didn't? I'm alive."

"I... I had a nightmare where you died on TV. One for All got to you and—I couldn't protect you. I know you want to do this but I'm tired of it. Honey, I love you but if something happens to you or Arai," Mayu's voice wavered as she continued,

"I don't know what I'd do with myself." Mayu's voice broke, and she hugged herself as if trying to contain the torrent of emotions that threatened to spill over.

Mayu choked back on tears as I stood in shock. She was never this honest about her feelings, not to me or Arai at least. She didn't want us thinking that anything was wrong. Haruki was the same.

"Mom, this is for my own good. I promise I won't get kidnapped again." I tried to reason with her but she wasn't having any of it. I took a deep breath, trying to find the right words to reassure my worried mother.

"I won't let anything happen to me, mom. I promise. And I'll be back. I'll always come back to you guys."

⸻⸻