Thirty-six

"Due to heavily damaged roads, the first group of rescue workers has been delayed!" Mera's voice echoed through the anteroom, signalling the end of the break and the beginning of the next phase of the exam. The room trembled as the walls around us started to fall away, revealing the new arena that we were about to enter.

"Until they arrive, the heroes in the area will lead the rescue efforts. Save as many lives as you can. Well, then... start!" With a loud alarm ringing, the official start of the exercise was signalled, and everyone sprang into action, rushing towards the injured civilians scattered throughout the simulated disaster zone.

"Stay with me, Y/N." Ren's voice reached me as he ran up beside me, catching me by surprise. I blinked, momentarily taken aback by his unexpected presence at my side. I wasn't necessarily planning on staying with anyone during this exam.

"Sure..." I replied quickly although I couldn't hide my confused tone, I was still trying to regain my composure. It seemed Ren had other plans than going solo, and I wasn't about to refuse his offer.

"Let's start by heading to the closest urban area." The blond haired student suggested, taking charge.

"Sounds good..." I agreed, falling into step beside Ren. The chaos of the disaster zone was all around us, with debris littering the ground and the sound of injured civilians calling out for help. We reached the outskirts of the urban area, where the rubble was thickest and the cries for help the loudest.

"Over here! Heeeeelp!" I heard a voice cry out, and we hurried towards the source. A pile of rubble had trapped a young man, his leg pinned beneath a heavy beam. Well, he wasn't actually stuck underneath it but still pretended to be.

"Let's work together to free him." Ren said, determination in his eyes as he gestured towards the broken, metal beam.

Nodding in agreement, I focused my quirk, slowly moving it towards me before a portal swallowed it and I immediately threw it out of my inventory—wanting to preserve as much space as I could, along with my energy.

"Thank you, thank you so much." He said, tears of relief in his eyes. Ren immediately knelt down beside him, checking his breathing and carefully assessing for any injuries.

"Are you okay? Anything broken?"

"I-I think I'm alright. Just a bit shaken up." The actor winced as he tried to sit up, but Ren gently supported him, his touch reassuring.

"We'll get you to safety." Ren told him, his voice steady and comforting as he smiled. "You're going to be okay."

'Oh, wow. He's good at this.' I blinked. This looked extremely natural for him, had he taken this test before? Well, I wouldn't be surprised—but that'd mean he failed, which sucked. He was doing an incredible job.