THE NEWS

कहते है अगर किसी चीज को दिल से चाहो
तो पूरी कायनात उसे तुमसे मिलाने की कोशिश में लग जाती है|

VANIE's POV

It's been a long day for me. We had a debate competition in school today and I was the coordinator of today's event. I love to see kids being all professional while arguing against the motion or for the motion.

There's nothing more thrilling than teenagers actually putting in efforts and finding information and facts.

But what's not thrilling is when they get too involved into it and make each other cry. I had to console two kids today, both of them debating for the motion. Riya and Taran are two shining stars of my class, but sometimes you just lose. It's a part of life, something that is very hard for two 13 year olds to understand.

I step out of my Honda City, after parking it right next to my brother's car. As I stand on the pavement of our garage, I can't help but look at the contrast between my brother's and my car. His is a Bugatti Veyron. He is the spoilt child of my parents. He is 21, freshly out of college, unemployed but yet he owns a car more expensive than mine's.

I bought my own car at instalments after I started earning. And I am so proud of myself.

Can't say the same for my parents. Even if I climbed the Mt. Everest, they would still find a way to make me feel small, inferior and unwanted.

I shake my head and move towards the entrance of the house. My family sits in the garden in front of the house. I head towards them, in order to join them. I sit next to my grandmother, my only supporter, and she pats my shoulder.

I look up at everyone, only to find all of them staring at me. Okay, what did I do now?

My mother breaks the silence first. "You are 25, Vanie. It's time to get settled and your father and I found the perfect match for you." She looks towards my father, who clears his throat and says,"I made a deal and the marriage will be beneficial to both the families. We are announcing the engagement in 30 minutes-"

"You what?" I shout and don't let him finish.

Did he just say a deal? Like, my marriage is not something sacred to him, but business

"Don't you dare raise your voice at your father, Vanie? Such a spoilt brat. Act your age."

The rage runs through my body, my ears heat and the only thing I can think of is how easily they traded me in a deal. Didn't even bother asking me? My eyes start to water. I take deep breaths trying to push the tears away.

"How can you do this?" I murmur slowly.

"Stop being dramatic, be ready at 8:00. The Aryas will be over for a family dinner." My father pushes his chair back and heads toward the house.
"The who?" I repeat refusing to believe what I just heard.
"The Aryas. Aadish Arya, he is the one you are marrying. So get your shit together and please stop acting like a child." My mother heads toward the house too.

My eyes follow her as the guards hold the door for her. My body's reaction to the news is completely out of my understanding. Am I happy? Nervous? Scared? Mad? Angry?