THE DINNER

अभी ना जाओ छोड़कर कर के दिल अभी भरा नहीं

AADISH's POV

The door opens, and my eyes are met with two very familiar brown eyes, Vanie Mehta.

Her face is all red, eyes too focused.

She is all dolled up in white suit, with her hair in a bun and white roses on side. She looks heaven sent.

Suddenly, there isn't enough air for me to breathe. My chest tightens and there is a weird tingling feeling in my stomach, my mouth dries.

She remains rooted, while her family rushes to greet us. She is not very good at hiding her emotions, which is surprising because, in a family, like ours the first thing we are taught is to have a deadpan face.

"This is a pleasure to have you and your son over, Mr. Arya." Raj Mehta, her father, shakes my father's hand.

"We are a family, now, it's time to drop the formalities, Raj." My father smiles.

I bend down and touch the feet of her father, mother and grandmother.

I might be perceived as rude and arrogant but I am a man of honour. I never disrespect until or unless they call for it. My rage is always directed towards the people who deserve it.

Before I can get up her grandmother holds me from my shoulders and carefully take a look at my face. And then smiles and pats me.

I look around to see her still rooted to her place.

Before, I can say something, her father puts his hand around her and slowly brings her in front. Then he looks at her with a huge, proud grin on his face and introduces her to us. "This is my very loving daughter, Vanie. The apple of our eyes, our sunshine."

She smiles sheepishly and then greets us.

I can't help but notice her attempt to avoid eye contact with me and failing miserably at it.

I smirk.

She glares.

God! The chest tightening feeling is back, again.

We all follow her dad, as he walks us towards the sitting area. She sits right next to her grandmother, who whispers something in her ears and she goes all red again.

"Vanie, come sit next to Aadi." My father says.

She nods and slowly walks towards me. With her eyes looking entirely elsewhere. A slight smile appears on my face. I push it back before anyone can see it.

Why the fuck am I smiling?

She is just a complementary wife, something unnecessary. I remind myself.

The moment she sits next to me. I can feel her body heat. Suddenly, my temperature begins to rise.
What the hell is wrong with me?

She looks up at me with her big brown eyes and for a moment all my suppressed emotions threaten to come out. I immediately turn my face away.