Chapter Four

I had watched the Valentino family leave my property an hour later, Arianna stood outside on the steps hugging her sister and brothers along with Lorenzo, Vivian stood stiffly near one of the cars seeming like she had places to be, had other more appealing things she'd rather be doing, which even for Mob Familias was odd, we may have all had our qualms and fought from time to time but typically disputes were negligible at best and rarely required the interference of a Don. The Valentino Familia also hadn't had turmoil for years except for small disputes with the Russians who had gone too far West for anyone in the Familia's comfort.

I had my own share of problems with the Eastern Mafiosos but I had also made an ally of the Sorenko Family who tolerated my expansionist plan through the West, and parts of Central Europe, the trade off was I'd sent Carlisle Giovanni to Berlin with instruction to make sure other Mafia Families there at least allied to us though they had been difficult and as a result it had meant I'd been focusing a small effort into helping him get control over those areas to be Underboss of the city which would be his posting if I could pull them into my sphere of influence.

I had a cautious relationship with the Romanian and Ukrainian Mafia which was under Stefan Sorenko nicknamed The Beast. Even the Bratva didn't dare enter his territory, and they hadn't entered Salvatorini territory either since I had become Capo.

That also may have been because I'd earned my own nickname from the Bratva.

They'd tried to take the countries of the North and south Eastern regions of Europe, and in response during one of the peace times between my father and one of their brotherhoods I'd burned down an abandoned town which had been helping them traffic women and children out of the country from Montenegro, so damaged and affected by drugs they hadn't even noticed when I'd saved them and had our doctors treat them. The stories had made my darker nature free itself and in one of the only times emotion ad affected my choices I massacred every Bratva soldier and crucified them, cutting the symbol of the Salvatorini Familia into their forearms. Even Stefan Sorenko had been shocked by the gesture and it had led to an agreement that he wouldn't expand past his current borders. He'd agreed choosing to expanded through north and south of my borders, which had allowed me to push the Bratva out of my territories.

I had suspected that was part of the reason Lorenzo had said yes to letting me marry his daughter. I could protect her, I may not be able to give her the marriage every girl, and young woman desired but I'd respect her, and treat her with honour. It might not have been a bond of love but I hoped that by the time I got to say my 'I do' to her we'd have reached an agreement.

Turning from the second floor window as I watched the cars leave, I heard the heavy oak front door open and Arianna entered the foyer again and was on her way towards the grandiose stairs when I spoke.

"Arianna," her name sounded just as beautiful as she looked and still I couldn't allow myself the honesty that admitting to that would mean. It would be like I'd committed a part of myself to her that I hadn't given anyone. Flirtation was my brothers specialty not mine and though I was tempted to say my opinions about her I refused to give her false hope even if she was like a siren she tempted me, she was the temptress I'd allowed into my home and more then aware she'd no doubt been told she'd be spending four months with me until our marriage.

We were bound to each other for the peace of our individual families and when that peace was actually established a third of a year from now I'd be Godfather over a territory that brought the entire Western countries under me, I'd accepted my role but I hadn't expected to get so far as Capo I'd also used the discord of riots's and the failing former Familias to become incredibly powerful, I was everything they told smaller Familias about warned their children about. Arianna's family likely had told her a few stories likely the lesser ones which had explained her scared but civil reaction to me.