Chapter Nineteen

The rest of the night I stayed by Alessio's side even as he informed Carmilla and Lino that a carpet needed to be disposed of, and, a new one brought up from the basement. I hadn't moved from his grip even after they had been washed of the blood that I knew had been on them, and the splatter that had struck his face being gone now along with a quick wash of his clothing which still felt warm from the dryer being set on the highest setting.

It was only when Alessio had been pulled away from me by one of his Capo's that I was left on my own seconds before I felt myself pulled and found that Matteo had appeared putting one hand with mine and the other on my back though I watched him tense upon realizing that there was no back to the dress.

"You can't do anything about the dress being backless, the only fabric is down or on my side," I say and he nods moving his hand to my waist.

"I don't want to be the second man my brother kills tonight, and he would kill me over you," Matteo says looking over at Alessio who eyed the crowd like someone would appear with a machine gun and start gunning down the most powerful men and women in the Familia.

"He's learned to trust no one, that's why he goes everywhere with enough weapons to kill half of Genoa," Matteo says following where I was looking.

"Has he always been paranoid?".

"In a month period he watched his sister be beaten to tears, and his fiancé was killed. He doesn't want to admit the chance that Violetta would have been dishonoured as she wasn't even Familia," he says, "don't tell him I said that, he'd stick me like Vlad Tepas".

I laughed remembering that Matteo was consistently thriving on humour and chaos.

"He wouldn't harm you Matteo," I say and in response I was fixed with a look that said, 'are you serious'.

"For you my brother would kill every person in this room," Matteo remarks.

"I don't doubt that," I sigh glancing to my future husband.

"Alessio was going to leave the Familia with Violetta, planned to take the millions he had, and disappear to the middle east where he wouldn't have been questioned and never had to pay a cent of taxes on any of it," Matteo says.

"But her death stopped him?".

"The Capo's were becoming untrusting of our father, and between having his closest friend killed, and raped, and Amara being hit, our father truly experienced the monster that was Alessio Salvatorini. He's Don because his Capo's begged him to be, he was who they trusted, so he ascended".

"Matteo I want to know something, did Alessio kill your father?" I get out before Matteo fell silent and I felt arms wrap around me pulling me back to a hard chest which was when the smell of Alessio's cologne filled my nose.

"You better not be telling Arianna too much of how I became Boss of the Familia," Alessio's voice reverberated through my back.

"Just what led up to your rise as the biggest asshole in Italy," Matteo smirked and Alessio narrowed his eyes at his brother.

"Matteo I can't deal with you tonight," Alessio remarks before looking around the room. "I'm done with this party, as my Consigliere you're going to dispose of our guests, and i domt mean by threatening them".

Alessio then began to guide me away from the room and out back to the lobby where a tall slender woman with a similar eye colour as Alessio just with a much thinner and equally as sharp facial features aside from the flowing platinum blonde hair.

"Mother, I wasn't expecting you to be here," Alessio says and I looked to her. She looked to be maybe twice Matteo's age but no less beautiful and striking in her own way.