Chapter Twenty Eight

When I finally got to La Spezia an hour faster then any map would've said it should have taken me, I found that the city block where the reported gunshots had been fired was taped off and the police were only letting those connected to the victim or investigation team past the tape luckily the La Spezia police were paid by the Salvatorini Familia, and I was let past the yellow reflective tape that was splattered in rain droplets that my jacket was allowing me sanctuary from.

Crossing the rainy streets I found a Mercedes Benz E53 the back door open with blood splattered across the backseat and across the open door. Three holes were in the glass and I narrowed my eyes at it. The glass was supposed to be bulletproof unless it hadn't been a gangland style hit like many men in the Vincenzo Familia preferred. This assassination spoke of my style of planning, of one of my own Familia's choice. Most in the Familia picked direct assassination others poison, or even by bombs. I liked the personal effect of putting a bullet in someone and watching the fear in their eyes.

I was a sick fuck.

Glancing from the bullet holes I carefully slipped my pinky through one of the holes and turned holding my hand up in such a way it looked like I was assessing a cut and not an angle that led to a stone building with various balconies.

"Boss," Lino says joining me and trailing his eyes to the building that had captured my attention then me.

"Lino I want to know who owns that building. At any cost," I say turning to my security Capo. Lino had been by my side almost as long as Matteo had been, and was in many ways just beneath me and my brother in the Familia. I'd grown up with Lino, had been around the same circles that had made us who we all became.

"Yes Boss, I'll get Truccini to look into it," Lino says stalking off while pulling his phone.

Turning back to the car I stared at the bullet holes and then cautiously opened the back door, grateful that I'd worn leather gloves when I'd raced here. I also took it that the forensics team had done their work in the hours before now but because it was a busy street outside one of the most popular restaurants in the city, the police had their work cut out for them.

I then looked through the tinted glass and made the realization that they had been targeting Pietro, but for once they'd done this because of the placement of the restaurant where he'd need to get out on the right side instead of the left.

This is the second attempt.

I didn't want to do another purge but it was the only rational thing to do, La Spezia would need to be shut down and they would be finding a string of people shipped out of the city to the Crimson Hall. It wouldn't be the first time I'd gathered anyone worth connecting to an action of betrayal or simply the need to go. I'd ordered my share of hits, enough to cause my nickname to be more then just rumours. The Italian Police hid it because I'd paid them too, and no one asked any questions. Though only a fool would have do so.

"Mr. Salvatorini," a man says from behind me and I was faced with the chief of police. Sandro Giotto who I'd met a few times and always had a good relationship with on my visits through the city.

"Captain, one of my staff I see has lost his wife," I say looking back from him to the Mercedes. Which now that I looked at it wasn't the usual car. Many of my men had different cars but most of them were good to just have one or two. As Underboss Pietro having a collection of four wasn't of much concern to me, but this one was new.

Or it's not even Pietro's.

"Yes he has, Forensics is trying to figure out the placement of the shooter and who could have done this. Though this has all the marks of an assassination attempt, connected to what I don't know?" Captain Giotto says looking at the car I was still staring at, and realized the panel of glass had been reinforced on the wrong side from where the polycarbonate began and the glass ended.