Chapter Forty Four

When we got to the gates of a clearly well taken care of home despite its abandonment Matteo turned into the driveway and up the stone pavers to a roundabout where a few cars including Alessio's McLaren sat though four bodies lay on the ground resulting in Matteo stopping and getting out to go and access them with his pistol.

I on the other hand was admiring the property specifically the house before us. The white stone villa had lights glowing from inside and even looking at it I felt haunted. The home was too pristene, and the air was too silent nothing moved, not a sound of movement other then Matteo who joined me and halted me as the SUV arrived.

"Lino keep the cars here and don't touch anything this will already be a fucking bloodbath," he says and the man nodded before Matteo looked at me.

"Ready, none of this will be pretty," he says warningly, as if me saying no meant I wouldn't force myself to find Alessio, no matter what condition he was in.

"Yes," I say feigning confidence despite my gut twisting. I was certain Alessio was fine, but the others here I doubted their safety. Crossing the driveway Matteo unsheathed his knife as him and I walked up the steps, his knife gleaming in the light.

As we walked through the villa I felt more and more bile rose up my throat. Even Matteo looked sickened. Matteo who was Alessio's Consigliere, and his closest advisor and brother. The same man who had seen Alessio become a made man as a child, and was by Alessio no matter how horrible things got in Liguria. Matteo would have seen.

Bodies lay everywhere, almost all of them so battered and bloodied that they were unrecognizable. I'd never seen something this bad or this brutal.

"It's like a fucking Picasso painting with blood and bone in here," Matteo remarked his voice the slightest it had ever been.

"Where is he?" I asked looking around the halls of the home, "has he ever done something like this?".

"Albania there was an old village entirely wiped off the earth by Alessio. Two thousand died," Matteo exhaled.

Alessio was beyond anything I had ever seen or met, he was temperamental and calm, but there was a breaking point for him, and it came down to my safety, now he'd reached a point where there was no going back for him. He was worse then the man I first met.

"Matteo, how could a man kill so easily, there's hundreds, easily," I say my voice shaking slightly, as I stared down at the thick blood that was gelatizing on the floor

"Alessio isn't a normal man, he's Capo of the Familia, he's ruthless, and the only man I know who doesn't let emotion rule him, this is him being precise, but I've only ever seen a few dozen, this he did by himself, and there is probably three hundred," Matteo replies before his foot made contact with something amongst the blood. A finger, a severed finger the others scattered across the room which was when I saw the streaks down the hallway a hallway that wasn't filled with blood but instead showed where someone had crawled and then another where bloody footprints and drips came.

Has Alessio been shot?

Stopping I listened but I heard nothing, before following Matteo who crept through the halls after the bloody steps of his brothers shoes, until we came to a set of stairs and went up them. As we did the silence was broken, but not by the sounds of life but of death, faintly the thick sound of someone gargling as if begging bounced off the white wooden walls, which was when Matteo practically rolled around the corner and aimed his gun before I followed. There in the middle of the hallway was Sandro, bullet wounds in slow capillary parts of his body one in the lungs and a knife semi pierced into his jugular causing him to have bled profusely in a pile, his legs were broken looking to be smashed and his eyes had been knifed out.

The bile reached my throat and I ran into the nearest bedroom, then it's bathroom where I threw up into the toilet. Wiping the tears from my eyes and lifting water to my mouth after turning the faucet on I rinsed and spat out whatever residue might be in my mouth and flushed.

Stepping out of the room, I then spotted the kneeling figure of Alessio beside a bed, a hammer soaked in blood nearby along with his gun. Light from the lamps showing off the stains on his suit everything about him looked like cherry filling on black forest cake.

The angel of death, indeed.

"Alessio?" I say getting closer to him when Matteo pushed open the door.

"Sandro's.... dead," he trails off as he spotted his brother.

Alessio didn't look up from us, didn't say a word, I'd worried he'd been suffering injuries and was dead himself when he spoke.

"This was her room," the words were hoarse, like he'd lost his voice and was in vocal pain. Then his dark eyes met mine and there on his face was streaks of visible skin pink along the edges from him crying.

"Violetta's," I state rather then ask and he nods.

"Her family was killed here not long after she was. Though it had been a mercy kill, they couldn't live without their daughter, so I personally told them to say I missed her when they got to see her, then I shot them," Alessio says looking away from Matteo and I as another tear left his eyes he was broken, but that didn't excuse that he killed hundreds of people and was now just kneeling in a room filled with memories of someone he had tired to get over.

"Staying in here won't help you heal, Alessio, no matter how much it hurts," I say softly and he looked at me his eyes a darker shade.

"Alessio, Arianna is right, let's get you home it's not good for you to be here in this house," Matteo says walking over and lifting Alessio to his feet and likely ignoring that he'd had blood on his clothing before guiding his brother back out of the bedroom and through the house. However once we got to the bottom of the stairs Alessio pulled out a lighter and clicked it open.

"This house needs to be nothing but ash," he says tossing it into a very well preserved study, where it landed on the carpet and immediately caught fire.

"Alessio!" I gasp watching how fast the fire seemed to spread before I noticed the smell of burning gasoline and stared at him.

He planned to burn the house down, but the blood covered the smell of gas.

"It's time to leave," Alessio says, pulling me along, before following after Matteo who had jogged out of the house.

As all of us got to the front of the house the light from the flames had turned the inside of the house into a bright white and orange outline as Lino and Matteo got into their cars.

"Lino, get Arianna out of here," Alessio says and he jumps from the car before guiding me to the Mercedes. Getting into the back I turned back to look at where Alessio stood next to his car soaked in blood while the home of his previous love was consumed by fire and smoke.

This house needs to be nothing but ash.

His words hadn't bothered me, but I did wonder if he was getting rid of more then just a place that held pain for him, and had pushed him to turning the Blanche Villa into a bloodbath.

Then all too soon Lino and Matteo were leaving the scene all while Alessio stood watching the result of the arson he initiated.

Maybe he was trying to separate himself from the past?

This was shorter also the next chapter is interesting I think even if it's a last minute build, comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌️