Chapter Thirty Six

Pietro's wife's funeral was an incredibly private ordeal, it had been his wish to keep it private and only invite anyone of closeness or designated importance. Nonetheless there was a hundred people here to mourn her unfortunate death. I'd asked Santino to make sure Pietro didn't fall too far into mourning, because of the unfortunate death of his  wife, I still needed him to be an Underboss of one of my cities.

My typical wardrobe of black or grey suits had also reached a similar status to others in the mob especially on my more serious days, when it felt important to dress in a complete black suit, now it was almost fitting that I inflicted so much death, and was attending a ceremony of mourning as a guest. As I came downstairs in the nine piece suit I spotted Arianna her hair pulled back in a simple pony tail, while she wore a black dress that was pleated and stopped just past her knees, long black heeled boots also stopped mid calf and a wool coat pulled around her.

On any other day I'd tell her she looked beautiful but that wasn't the point of today it was to attend the funeral of a woman who had been only forty-six, with a daughter of seventeen, and a husband who as expected had wiped out every member of the Vincenzo Familia from the La Spezia province. I had never really considered what would happen if one of my family was killed during a war. Sure I knew I'd be ballistic and unnerved to the point I'd avoid any actual logic. Even Matteo knew I'd kill everyone involved and all of their loved ones. I was many things in that state, sociopathic, and machavellian were the main ones, but I was also the vindictive Salvatorini Sibling. Arianna thought I was honourable, and though I had my morals that could be viewed as honourable, I was a different kind of monster when it came to her.

I don't even want to imagine who I'd be if I knew that someone hurt her.

That would be the exception to my calm anger, I'd end up being who I was when I was young and my sadist of a father ordered me to do something. The difference would be instead of making a scene for the sake of having the man fuck off. I wouldn't be sated even if I killed a thousand enemies of the Familia and my power.

I'd honestly been surprised when a hundred people were dealt with by the Fianntino Familia. Now I would be respectful and allow him to grieve his wife knowing now if he wished to remarry he would have to pick a widow and that meant another woman's children which wasn't necessarily frowned upon but I was merely a bastard child and had been beaten my whole life, but being a step child in the Mafia world had its own problems.

As Aria and I left the house we passed the other vehicles of Lino, Matteo, with Aria not far behind me before we got into the new Bentley I had just bought and starting the engine I allowed myself to admire the car before leaving with the others not far behind.

"Were you close with the Fianntino's?" Aria asks as she buckled her seat, and in response I glanced to her with my eyebrows raised.

"Unlike Antonio, I watched Pietro be passed up constantly, almost all of my Underbosses were ignored for years until I came to power. Pietro was the exception since we were at his families house constantly," I say, "I promised him a position when I became Boss," I add and she nods.

"So you reward loyalty?" Aria asks seeming surprised, though other Familia bosses liked to consolidate power in the actual family.

"Yes I do, blood doesn't make you family. You and I are going to be family, may one day even have a family, and I know you and I hold more trust and loyalty then most families have in our world," I say as I got onto the main highway and sped off passing other drivers.

"I know that's just you and I trying, and being honest with one another Alessio, how often have you noticed dishonesty in the world of the mob," she says and I nod in thought as I turned along the coast to get to La Spezia faster then the others would.