Chapter Thirty Nine

The car slowed in the new driveway for the house. Aria had been asking for certain things while the house had it's addition built and I wasn't in a mental position to deny her from making the house that we lived in together ours even after I had paid millions to make it look how I wanted it too.

Climbing from the car I looked towards the house. The lights were on, and as expected Aria's smiling face was at the door in an instant, pulling it open as I strode up the steps to meet her on the porch.

It was her bright smile that I could lose myself in at the end of each day, that smile that made the monster I was tame and willing to step down from being my chief controller. I hadn't ever understood it, but still a look from those eyes could make me forget that I was looking for traitors, and that I was doing it to ensure no one ever thought of acting out against the Familia again. That was apart of the rules you didn't pursue or harm a woman of the Familia, and especially that of a more powerful position.

"What's going on, Lino and Carmilla said that there was a situation you had to deal with?" Aria says clutching at my coat that for once wasn't covered in the blood of anyone I killed.

Not yet.

"I have traitors that were found to be apart of more then just the attempted assassination of Pietro Fianntino, this whole thing was orchestrated during this time period to cause civil war, and duress in the Salvatorini Familia," I say looking down at her as I pulled her closer to me wrapping my arms around her inexplicably small frame.

"So you have to kill more people because the one interrogation with Romeo blew up?" Aria stated more then asked and I nodded.

"In a world of darkness, you are my light Arianna," I say resting my forehead on the top of her head.

"Don't say that, the world is always going to be dark," she says looking up, her eyes somewhat glassy.

"I know, but I can always enjoy it with you, now let's have dinner, home is no place for the cruelties of our world," I exhale and she follows after me though Aria never took her eyes off of me, not that I blamed her, she knew me, perhaps more then I wanted her too.

"Shall we order in, I don't want to cook," Aria says as we stopped in the kitchen with only the stove light, blanketing the room in a pale glow.

"You not wanting to cook?" I puzzle, my eyebrows raised in shock while I leaned my back on the counter with my arms crossed straining the fabric of my jacket.

Aria then perked up before moving to the fridge and pulling it open to reveal a section of the rather large appliance layered with trays of various pastries.

"I baked, does that count?" she says and I looked over everything she had made. Cupcakes, and cookies, muffins, and even a batch of cinnamon rolls adorned the shelves of my fridge each looking like they had been professionally done, but Aria hated anyone but her being in the kitchen so I knew that she had picked up many habits that she enjoyed in her youth and I could tell that many of them made her incredibly happy. Her paintings and drawings, many I noticed were of places outside of the villa which had me wonder how often throughout the day Aria and Carmilla leave the compound so my wife could do the art that she loved so much.

"Your baking is lovely Aria," I say, "and I will get Lino to go to one of my favourite restaurants to get us dinner," I add and she smiles at me before shaking her head a little.

"No wonder no one knows you live here, you only leave for work," Aria says and I hum knowing that it was true. I had my reclusive habits but I'd also rarely been home before her, something I was certain she'd figured out.

"And no one has ever tried to break into my compound in the history of its existence. Which is why I know you're safe. Even when you take trips out to paint things," I state and she flushed and looked down.