Chapter Forty Eight

A few days after my action based apology that Aria had accepted and was still reading the letters I'd written to her. She hadn't forgotten what I'd done but she had told me that she could accept the man I was and my reasons, could accept the darkness in me that I tried to hide from her as often as I could.

I would likely always feel guilty that she had seen my massacre, and would probably have nightmares of what I was capable of for a long time, and I would do my best to make sure that she only got the best of me.

Cruelty doesn't have a place in marriage.

Treat Arianna how you wish father treated mother.

My brothers words echoed through my mind like a hawks scream through a cave, I was going to do it whether. Because that was what she needed from me. I may not be able to change the circumstances of her birth but I could promise that her and I would have an honest marriage, and a loving one where we always had one another.

That was also the reason I had made a reservation at one of the nicest restaurants in Genoa and was going to take Arianna out as a day just for us, as if we were completely normal.

Pulling the dark red button up shirt on I quickly secured all the buttons and tucked it in before walking into the bathroom where Aria had chosen to get dressed where I found her in a simple satin dress the same colour as my shirt and looking like the definition of perfection.

"You look stunning Arianna, I have no words," I state resisting the urge to gape at how lovely of a wife I was soon to have, and that I was the lucky bastard that got to have her for the rest of my life.

"Of course you don't," she says before glancing down at the dress, "good enough? And you better answer correctly,"  she adds raising a finger which I just stared at.

"More then, always," I reply and a blush crept onto her face before I wrapped my arms around her.

"Let's go I don't want to be late," I say putting an arm around her and leading her away towards the garage.

Crossing the driveway I let go of her and walked into the space before sliding into the selected car for handling the rain. Pulling out of the driveway I hopped out of the car and rounded it before opening the door for Aria who slid into the vehicle without much difficulty.

Shutting the door I went back around and got into the driver seat before heading off towards Genoa. While Aria sang along the music playing on the radio.

I had noticed that she loved singing and doing things that I would guess she did before ending up as being mine for the duration of her life without knowing that it was going to change her life, but also be completely fine in my house. I wanted her to be herself forever, no matter how long it took for her to be comfortable and open with me I had planned to be welcoming to it. I could tell she knew I'd adapted to make our relationship work, had tried to be less iron fisted when it came to how things worked, but it was a two way pattern of behaviour and I couldn't have been anything but who I was but, maybe I did need her to be her stubborn, and patient self to deal with all of my various mood shifts, and the extremes of this life.

Father would still try and ruin the happiness of all of his children if he knew what we all did.

The four months that Aria and I had to wait before marriage had done it's purpose we were soon going to be newly weds and still the time before then had allowed us to get acquainted with one another. I did have my suspicions about her mother, but her dad and brothers were trusting me, and any disputes had been discussed though I wasn't so sure about if Emmanuel and Domenico had been told that I was going to be getting control of all of Italy which would make them proxy Dons for the area they controlled.