Chapter Twenty One

When I eventually pulled back into the driveway of my mansion at quarter to midnight from speeding to escape the thunderstorm that seemed to have settled itself along the coast of Italy and was sending sparks of purple lightning across the sky above my home. Looking out of the window of my car I looked to the house and noticed that the lights of the home had been mostly shut off and lamp light glowed from the the living room, and one of the far East bedrooms. Aria's. There were other rooms that wouldn't ever be dark in my house but I had found it interesting that Aria who had no reason to have any bond to me at all had remained up.

She was too good a woman for me to pure for the kind of man that I was. How long would it be before she went to her family and begged to have the marriage nullified, how many times would I come home with blood on my hands or on my clothing before she realized I was nothing but a cold hearted killer. I was the Don of the most powerful Mafia in the world, and I took no prisoners, and never allowed anyone to even question my power or authority. Aria had seen me shoot a man for insulting her, and her family. I struggled to tell her how I felt about anything except through kissing her, and now fucking her. I wasn't a good man, and I knew it. I just didn't think she saw it.

Parking I got out of the car and walked towards the front door of my home which as I opened a brown and white flash slammed into me, and wrapped around my middle. I'd have pulled a knife or a gun had I not known it was Aria, then I noticed the exchanged looks between Lino and Carmilla, both confused, and I wanted to know why.

"What is it?" I demand as Aria placed her face into my chest.

"She's been on the couch crying, and we didn't want to disturb her," Carmilla says, and the same aggravated worry shot through me.

"Why the fuck not, your job is to keep her from feeling distressed, and make her feel safe," I snap while putting an arm around Aria's tiny frame, which was when I felt the dampness on my shirt, and the shaking of her body.

"Boss, she asked for you," Lino said and I turned my attention from Aria to my personal bodyguard.

"Calling me was an option, I would have come back here," I say glowering at the two people I'd entrusted Aria with for less then a day, and in that time she'd laid on the couch and cried.

Lifting her into my arms I carried her upstairs and down the hallway my steps long and echoing slightly on the hardwood floors as I stared down at Aria who was still clung to me.

"It's not Carmilla, or Lino's fault," Aria says looking up at me and I stare back at her taking in her beauty, and the red blotches on her face from the salt of her tears.

"Then what caused you to cry Arianna?" I ask and she looks away an embarrassed expression on her face as I lay her down on her bed and went to let go of her but she insisted on holding my arm, on not letting me go.

"I'm afraid of thunderstorms," she mumbles not meeting my eyes as she answered my question. She looked like she expected me to laugh, to make fun of her for it but I simply tugged my arm free much to her dismay before wrapping her in a blanket and lifting her into my arms.

"Then I have a solution," I say turning and carrying her back out of the room across the house without a word until I got to my door and pushed it open with the toe of my shoe. I then wordlessly carried her to my bed and lay her there on the pillow I never used before crossing the room to shut the door.

Under Aria's gaze I then disappeared into my closet and picked out a pair of comfy pants to wear instead of just in boxers like I would if she wasn't in my bed fully dressed. Reemerging after a moment I walked to the bed and slipped under my covers before pulling Arianna to me.

I had no words, I wouldn't have been able to say anything if I did. I wanted her to be safe with me and saying anything would ruin that I'd done the gesture at all.