2

December 5th 1919

It wasn't long until her brothers were back to being Peaky Blinders. Now that they were back from France, things were going to be different.

"Hello Curly" Lottie smiled brightly as she pulled her boots through the mud of the stables. "Hello Lottie" he stuttered. "You seen Tommy? Aunt Pol is looking for him" she asked, stroking the white horse he had previously been grooming.

"I believe he's taken his horse somewhere" he nodded, looking back at her.

"Something to do with the Kemp Ton races on monday?" The girl guessed. "I'm not sure, you'll have to ask him"

She nodded and turned the other way.

"See you soon curly, not supposed to be here anyway" she admitted, running back towards Watery Lane, hoping nobody had realised she was gone.

People nodded their head at the girl as she ran through Small Heath.

One thing Lottie enjoyed about the Shelby name, was the respect that came with it. She loved it. Most people would nod their heads, make way for her. While others either hated her for being a Shelby.

-

"Morning Mr Shelby" a man nodded as Tommy walked to Watery Lane, opening the door and hanging his hat on the hook.

Finn turned, quickly throwing his cigarette into the fire.

"Finn?" Tommy started. "Arthur's mad as hell" Finn stated. Tommy picked up the cigarette that hadn't gotten into the fire and examined it.

"What does a ten year old know about hell, eh?" he asked. "I'm eleven sunday" he argued. Tommy laughed, patting his shoulder and walking away, opening the doors to the betting shop.

John stood at the chalk board, writing numbers in different columns as men scurried around, placing bets.

"Fucking hell" Lottie whispered, throwing her feet under the table.

"Tommy! Tommy!" John shouted. "Look at the book, just look" John began showing Tommy all the bets placed on Monoghan boy"

Thomas nodded. "Good work, John"

"Tommy" Arthur interrupted. "Get in here, now" he demanded, his hands in his pockets. Tommy closed the door to Arthur's office as he poured himself a glass of whiskey.

"Now you was seen doing the powder trick down at Garrison Courts" he pursed his lips into a straight line. "Times are hard." Tommy defended.

"People need a reason to lay a bet" he added.

"There was a Chinese" Arthur spoke, "The washer women say she's a witch" Tommy said. "It helps them believe"

"We don't mess with Chinese" Arthur reminded him.

"Look at the book-"

"Chinese have cutters of their own" Arthur hit his fist into the table. "We agreed Arthur"

Lottie watched as her older brothers spoke in the dimly lit room. Something about the Chinese was all she heard. Lottie never understood their families issues with the Chinese.