79

"Do you want a drink?" Lizzie asked, leading Linda to the room that Lottie sat. "Ive stopped" she said, looking at the painting of Tommy and sitting down.

"So what have you decided?" Lizzie turned.

"Ive been talking to the friends," Linda said. "What friends?" Lottie asked. "Quakers. Friends who meet at the Meeting House in Bourneville. Im staying in Bourneville"

"And what do they say?"

"They say ive been led astray." she said quietly, looking down. "If youve come to talk about redemtion, you're talking to the wrong person"

"I also went to a solicitor. They heard my name was Shelby and suddenly, they were too busy"

"To divorce a Shelby man, you have to go to a solicitor in London" Lizzie said, "I found one, he said hed represent me, i put the phone down. Not through fear, I chose this life, it didnt chose me"

"Well said" Lottie nodded.

"Also Lizzie, one of the friends is a man. He listens to me when i talk, his wife died of the spanish flu. He has a daughter-"

"And you're considering making this daughter an orphan?" Lizzie cut her off, "Nothing has happened" Linda shook her head, "Nor will it. He would die without his eyes. And out of kindness, Tommy would offer his daughter a place in one of his institutions for orphaned girls. Or even take her into the family. And it would begin again. What is the thing, Linda? The thing you cant put aside"

"Its not Arthur, its who i am whe hes there. God hears every filthy word in my head, knows every dirty thing."

"And your friends dont use filthy words?" Lottie asked.

"If i fall this time, ill fall all the way"

"Perhaps its what you deserve with your filthy words" Lizzie joked, "I used to fuck seven men a day and now im learning how to ride a horse side saddle"

Linda smiled, "Theres good and theres evil"

"And theres both mixed" Lizzie suggsted. "And thats Arthur and you and me, Lizzie." she whispered.

"You dont get what you deserve, you get what you take"

-

"Someone called Polly Gray to see you, yes or no?" the nurse spoke. "Yes" Aberama whispered, Polly walked in, looking at him sympathetically.

-

"Ive come to take you to the clinic," Ada aighed, walking up the steps to Gina. "I already told Micheal. My husband, or no one"

"Ive got a car" Ada said. "They have taxis, even in this fucking city," Gina rolled her eyes. "Look if they dont hear a heartbeat, they're gonna give you options, none of them are nice. I had my check up three days ago. They heard a beating heart. But if they had told me that baby had died inside of me, i would of wanted someone with me"

Gina looked at her.

"My husband may do as hes told but, er, i dont"

"Look if they hear a heartbeat, you wont need anybody with you, because you'll have the baby with you. So i will leave you alone, but if you get in a taxi in this city and they hear your accent, they'll take you on a grand tour." she showed her the keys. "Come on"

-

"So when will mum be home?" Karl asked. "She said she had to go to Birmingham" James told him, "Do you want me to cook you something?"