9

"Morning Shelby" Ronnie waved, stopping in front of her. "Not seen you around our Reggie in a few weeks, everything okay?" the older boy asked.

"Not seen anyone in a few weeks really, been helping my brothers and Aunt Pol" she nodded, placing her hands in her pockets. "Speaking of, you seen any of them" she asked.

He put out his cigarette.

"Don't think so no, everything okay"

"Yeah, they must be in the Garrison, i'll go there" she nodded. "Here, i'll walk you over. What kind of lad would i be if i let Lottie Shelby walk by herself" he smiled softly.

Ronnie was Reggie's older brother. He was a really nice boy, would never guess it was Reggie's brother. Their nothing alike. Ronnie has blonde hair and is tall, kind. Reggie is smaller, black hair and dark eyes, not as kind.

-

Tommy stopped before walking into the house on Watery Lane, glancing at the parked van over the road, he shrugged it off and walked into the house.

"Last bets now" Scudboat shouted.

A small boy walked in, glancing at everything, placing a bet and walking toward the doors leading to the house.

"I was here on time" a man argued, "I got a tip off, i need this bet"

"The race has started, bets are finished"

Arthur grabbed the boy and dragged him away from the betting den. "We said no, get out"

The small boy had snuck his way into the house, hiding in the small cupboard. Everyone began leaving the betting shop.

"It's a good day" Polly said. "Where's John" Tommy asked. "Johns in the Garrison, he says he wants a meeting about a family matter"

"After he said his piece he'll come back and take his place with Scudboat" she nodded. "Scudboat, John will be here in ten minutes" Polly told the older man.

"All right"

"Five" Tommy corrected.

-

"Family meeting is it?" Lottie asked, sitting beside John in the snug. "Can i be in this one or?"

"No you can stay" he nodded. She grinned and sipped some of his whiskey only to get it snatched back by him. "Your not allowed to drink"

"Tommy says i'm allowed two, maximum" she corrected.

Polly and Tommy walked in, glancing at the three of them.

"All right John, there's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?"

John cleared his throat.

"Polly you know what it's been like since Martha died" he nodded, referring to his dead wife, mother of his many children.

Children of which Lottie had lost count of.

"God takes the best first" Polly placed her hand over Johns. "Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me"

"running barefoot with the dogs until all hours"