14

Arthur rushed through the train station, his hat in hand. He searched the platform.

"Dad?" he asked. He turned around. "Hello son" he sighed. "May i ask who gave you my whereabouts"

"Marston"

"Said you left him last night with a bill for your whores,"

"Well at least we got to say goodbye son" he nodded. "And bid a find adieu to your dear brothers would you. Tell Lottie i said goodbye"

"How could you do this to us" Arthur asked, hurt filling him. "Do what, son?"

"All that stuff you said about the Shelby Casino and Atlantic city" he paused,

"Well if the truth be told i'm not so acquainted with that promised land as i had thee believe" his father admitted.

"You're a fucking liar and a thief" his lip trembled slightly. "You give me back my fucking money" he shouted.

"Do not despise the thief who steals to satisfy his starvation" he got closer to his son.

"That's in the holy bible son and i have starved for very long"

"Fare thee well, son"

Arthur watched as the man walked away. "I waited for you" he said, a lump gathering in his throat.

"I waited" he repeated.

He charged at his dad, grabbing him by the coat only to be shoved against the wall. "Listen to me boy"

"You are not in the prize ring now, if you ever put your fucking hands on me again i'll cut your throat" he threatened.

Arthur breathed heavily, not believing what his father was saying to him.

He let go of Arthur and walked away.

Arthur stood, frozen, kneeling down the grab his hat, tears threatening to fall.

-

"Where's your father" Polly asked as Arthur dragged himself through the door. Lottie's head lifted at the mention.

"I'm assuming he's frittering away at the 500 you took from us and put into his thieving groping hands" Polly stared at her newspaper. "What 500?" Lottie asked. "You stole fucking 500 pound and gave it to dad?" she sat up.

He stayed quiet.

"What were you thinking?" she finally put the paper down. "How dare you do something like that without talking to Thomas or me?"

"Does Tommy know?" he asked.

She picked up the paper once more. "No, but you're gonna tell him"

Lottie sucked in a breath, throwing herself back onto the sofa. "Fuckin Arthur, what are you doing" she whispered.

-

"My brother in Digbeth just said the police are coming down from Deritens in numbers asking for Tommy Shelby by name" Harry whispered to Grace. Lottie turned her head slightly, trying to listen in.

They both looked at Tommy as he walked in.

"Shit" Harry whispered.

Tommy opened the door, following Grace as she went inside.

"What has she fucking done" Lottie whispered to herself.

"I'm going to have to lie low for a while" Tommy told her. "Why?"

"I've lost my bargaining power, this copper, it's just me and him now" he nodded. "When i get back, i'm gonna tell you some things"

"Harry said the police are already in Digbeth" she told him. "You took a chance coming here, why?"

The door opened and Finn stood before them.

"The police are in the lane Tommy" he said. Both Grace and Tommy looked at each other with wide eyes.

"Come with me" she said.

-

Everyone's head turned as coppers swarmed into the pub. Inspector Campbell slid a gun onto the counter.

"I'm looking for Thomas Shelby"

Lottie pulled Finn to her side. Everyone stayed silent. "Never heard of him" Harry shook his head, wiping his hand on a cloth.

"You'll never find him" Finn spoke up. Lottie pinched the back of his neck.

Inspector walked toward them, looking at Lottie. "Go home,"

They both went on the back door of the pub.

"Perhaps i should ask that question again," he grabbed his gun. "On your knees"

A copper pulled harry down to the floor.

Campbell pointed his gun to his head.

"Now, understand this bar man" he began. "I don't care if you live or die" he nodded. "I don't know" Harry stuttered.

"He left" he admitted. "With a barmaid, he left with Grace" Inspector Campbell clenched his jaw.

"Think they were going to her place"

The copper dropped him to the floor and Campbell stepped back.

"Call it off" he said. "I don't understand sir we should find the barmaid and-"

"Call it off" he shouted, "all of it"

-

"What the bloody hell did you do that for Finn" she hissed, lighting the fire. "I was trying to help"

"Is Tom in trouble" he asked. Lottie wiped the dirt from his face. "He's always in trouble Finn, but he'll get his way out of it"

"He always does"

-

Arthur stood on a chair of the dimly lit gym, shakily reaching for the rope above his head and tightening it.

"Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy.." he took a deep breath before kicking the chair from underneath him.

Thoughts rushed through his head as he choked.

He felt like a disappointment to his family, that everyone hated him.