16

"Ada what the fuck are we doing" Lottie asked as her older sister dragged her through the house. "Stopping this madness" she said, placing Karl in his pram.

"What are you talking about" Lottie frowned. "Ada i'm not getting in the way of this"

"Fine" she shrugged, "stay here, but i'm going"

Lottie rolled her eyes. "Fine but if i die, my blood is on your hands" she warned.

Lottie shook her head, mumbling to herself as she held onto the moving pram, approaching the large crowd of men.

"Move" Ada hissed, pushing through them. Lottie stared each of them dead in the eye.

Karl began crying.

"What are you doing" Freddie shouted, lowering his gun.

"Ada what the fuck are you doing bringing Lottie here" John scolded. "I believe you boys call this no man's land" she stated.

"Ada" Freddie repeated.

"Shut up and listen"

Lottie kept her head down, hating what was happening.

"Have you lost your mind" he shouted. "I said shut up"

Kimber looked around, confused.

"Now most of you were in France" she reminded. "So you all know what happens next, i've got brothers and a husband up there, my sister beside me"

"But you've all got somebody waiting for you." she shouted. "Fucking hell Ada" Lottie muttered.

"Now i'm wearing black in preparation" she nodded, holding her hat. "I want you to look at me" she hissed, "i want you all to look at me"

Lottie caught the eyes of John.

"Who'll be wearing black for you" Ada shouted. "Think about them"

"Alright Ada, I think they get it" Lottie placed a hand on her arm. "Think about them right now"

"And fight if you want to, but we aren't moving anywhere"

Lottie lifted her head. "Fucking what" she asked. "Ada don't be stupid" John warned. "Lottie move"

"She's right you know" Kimber interrupted, "why should all you men die, it should just be them who caused it"

He pointed his gun toward Tommy, firing it. Lottie screamed, falling to the floor.

Multiple shots fired and Lottie looked down at her stomach, her hands covered in blood. Her breath quickened as she leaned her head back, tears forming in her eyes.

Danny Whizz-Bang ran forward, bullets firing into his chest. He fell on to the floor a few metres away from Lottie.

Everything began moving in slow motion, Ada rushed to her younger sisters side.

"Ada move away" Freddie shouted. "You shot her, you fucking shot her" John shouted.

Tommy stood straight, firing his gun, a bullet landing in between Billy Kimber's eyes.

Lottie squeezed her eyes shut, staring at the sky.

She noticed John running over, kneeling beside her. He placed his hands on her face.

"Enough" Tommy shouted as Billy Kimber fell to the floor.

"John" Lottie whispered, grabbing his hand, tears rolling from her eyes. "Ada move Karl out the way" he sent her away.

"Kimber and me fought this battle one on one" Tommy shouted.

John lifted the younger girl into his arms, holding his hand on her wound. "It's over" Thomas shouted. "Go home to your families"

Arthur's eyes landed on John and Lottie.

"Tommy" he whispered. Both brothers looked over. "Fucking shit" they whispered.

"Fucking help us" Ada screamed, holding her sisters hand.

Lottie shook her head, leaning on John.

He stood up, carrying her into the Garrison. "Get a fucking ambulance" he shouted, his voice cracking.

Lottie's hand was tightly wrapped around Johns as he lay her on the table.

Tommy pressed a cloth onto the bullet wound.

"Save your breath Lott, you'll be fine" He wiped the girls forehead.

"Ada what were you fucking thinking" John shouted. "I'm sorry," she said, tears rolling down her face.

Lottie looked at the people surrounding her, watching as they ran around in slow motion. "John" she whispered. "I'm okay" she nodded.

"I promise" she nodded, "no lies" she reminded him.

He smiled weakly at her efforts.

-

A loud scream left Lottie's mouth as the doctor pulled the bullet from her stomach. She covered her mouth to quiet the sobs.

John and Arthur paced the waiting room.

"What was Ada thinking" he repeated his question from earlier. "Lottie could die," John whispered.

Tommy placed a hand on his shoulder. "Stop, she's in good hands"

Their heads turned toward Isaiah who had appeared before them. "Isaiah?" Tommy asked.

"Is she okay?" he asked.

The family had their suspicions about Isaiah and the girl, and his appearance confirmed them.

"We uh, we don't know yet" Arthur nodded.

Lottie's eyes closed slowly as the doctors left the room.

"We got the bullet out, she should be okay. She lost a lot of blood" the man nodded, looking at the brothers.

"Can we see her" John asked, standing up.

The doctor nodded, knowing that they would do it anyway.

John was the first in the room, grabbing the girls hand. "Scared the shit out of me you did" he whispered.

The bond between John and Lottie was unbeatable, the closest people you would ever see. John loved his younger sister more than anyone in the world. And if anything ever happened to her, he could never forgive himself. Never.

-

A/N

John and Lottie's bond is something else, they make me cry honestly. He cares for her so much.