7

Lottie yawned, getting bored of the men inside the snug who were talking business with Tommy. She wasn't supposed to be in there, but nobody was home and for whatever reason, he didn't want her there without an adult.

"You think we're jokers" the man said. "Am i laughing?" Tommy raised his eyebrows.

The man finished his drink, leaning forward. He began singing.

Both Tommy and Lottie raised their eyebrows. It wasn't long before Lottie began chuckling at the man's strange behaviour.

"Maguire will you shut up" the man beside him asked.

He continued and Lottie shrunk in her seat, her face going red from laughing. "Excuse me" she put her hand up, exiting the snug and taking a deep breath. "He's a joker him you know" she shook her head, turning to sit at the bar and seeing Grace the Barmaid with her ear against the small window.

"Fucking excuse you" Lottie hissed. "You sneaky cow" she added. "You get the fuck away from that window now or i'll cut your eyes out" Lottie threatened, pointing a finger at her.

She said nothing but looked down and walked away.

Tommy escorted the men outside and placed the half empty whiskey bottle on the counter. "Wouldn't talk to her Tom, she's been listening in" Lotting informed him, crossing her arms.

He gave her a quick look.

"I thought you only love singing on a Saturday" she changed the subject, cleaning the bar. "Whiskey is good proofing water" Tommy said. "It tells you who's real and who isn't"

"And what did my countrymen want" she asked.

"Oh they're nobodies" he shrugged, putting out his cigarette. "They drink in the Black Swan in Sparkbrook"

"They're only rebels because they like the songs"

"You have sympathies with them" she asked. "You like asking a lot of questions don't you grace, surprised you need to if you've been listening in to Tommy's conversations" Lottie remarked, looking the woman up and down.

Tommy raised his hand to his younger sister, telling her to be quiet.

"I have no sympathies of any description"

"Their accents are so thick, it's a wonder you could understand them"Grace stifles a laugh. "Next time i could translate" she suggested.

Lottie scoffed, leaning back.

"You'd work for me?" Tommy raised an eyebrow. "I thought i already was"

"So you are coming to the races" he asked. "The races?" Lottie squealed, "you said you'd take me to the races"

"Lottie go home will ye" Tommy shook his head, waving the girl off.

She scoffed again, leaving the pub and making her way home.

"Lottie Shelby, to what do i owe the pleasure" Isaiah appeared, pushing himself off the wall and away from the boys he was with.

"Tommys banishing me home" she sighed. "Why?"

"That fucking barmaid. She's up to no good you know" she told the boy. "Listening in to his business meetings."

"What a skank" Isaiah let out a laugh, flinging an arm around Lottie's shoulder. "Taking her to the races as well" Lottie looked down at her boots.

"He must like her then" he teased.

"I don't like her, that's all i know"

-