12

Lottie walked with Polly to where Ada was staying. She stood patiently, a basket of food in hand. "Ada, it's me, i've brought you and the baby food" she said quietly.

"Open up love" Polly said, tapping on the door.

"She's not coming out is she" Lottie asked her Aunt. "Think of the little one, Ada"

She heard the light cries of the baby inside the room.

"Ada i want to see you" Lottie gave up being patient and knocked on the door again. "Come on love, she's not opening the door" Polly ushered Lottie back up the stairs.

"Why won't she come out"

"Blame your brother" she hissed. "Tommy didn't do anything, he's told us both that" she pleaded. "Who else would of done it then"

"Alright calm ye tits, it's not my fault" Lottie scoffed, walking ahead.

"Did you speak to her?" Tom asked as they walked back into the house. "She didn't speak back" Pol said.

"Well did you tell her"

"I'll only tell her what i know to be true"

"Oh come on Pol give it a rest" Lottie sighed, taking her boots off. "It's the last time i'm going to say this, it wasn't me who shopped Freddie Thorne"

"Tommy" Polly began. "I'd ask you to swear on the bible, but you can't swear on that can you"

"Nothing you hold is sacred" Polly walked out, leaving Lottie and Thomas alone. "What's her issue" Lottie groaned.

-

Tommy leaned over, drawing a black star in diary that Grace was writing in.

"Black star? What does that mean"

"The black star day" he began. "Is the day we take out Billy Kimber and his men. No one knows this"

"Not even your family?" she asked.

"Grace" he turned, opening the door. "Everyone in my family hates me. Why would i tell them"

"That young sister of yours doesn't seem to hate you" she frowned. "Then she'll be the only one" he whispered, leaning the room.

-

Lottie stood inside the gym, watching Isaiah fight a boy.

"He's off the bloody rails is what he is" She heard Johns voice as he entered the gym. "If he'll turn nose on his best mate"

He was talking about Tommy.

"Bloody neighbours John, snitch behind the curtain" Arthur said, laying eyes on his sister.

"Yeah well if you think that your the only one who does"

"Look at this look," they approached the ring closest to them. "Bloody raking it in. Who's running this carny"

"Name of Marston" the small man said. "Intends on wintering in Small Heath with this ring"

Lottie watched them carefully, handing Isaiah a towel.

"Does he?"

"Only heard. Nobody in Small Heath craps in a pot without the decree of Tommy Almighty" John sneered. "Alright Lottie" he ruffled the younger girls hair, earning a smack off her.