5

Polly closed the doors behind her, turning to Tommy.

"So we both know what they were looking for" she nodded, sitting down. "You don't read the papers"

"Racing papers" he stated. "So let me tell you the odds Tommy, i reckon it's three to one, there'll be a revolution"

"I wouldn't bet on that"

"That coppers betting on it" she reminded him. "He's not going to let it rest till he gets those guns back.

"Did he talk to you, Pol" he sighed.

"In the church"

"Did he try to find our Ada?" he asked. "She was sleeping" Pol said. Tommy scoffed. "Where was she sleeping Pol"

"Thought you didn't care for women's business" she reminded him. "He knows your the boss. He wants to meet you"

"Will you talk to him?"

"No" Tommy shook his head, blowing out smoke. "You don't pellet when you're on the back foot. We'll strike a blow back first" he looked at her.

-

"The fuck are we doing" Lottie asked John as he lightly dragged her down the road, knocking on doors.

"Two bob for your picture of the king" he nodded at the woman. "What?" she asked. "Bring it to watery lane" he told her, dropping the money at her feet.

"Are you going to explain or what" Lottie huffed, catching up with her brother. "We're having a fire" he grinned at her, taking her to where everyone else had gathered.

"Stay close" he said, holding on to her shoulder.

Her eyes lit up as she saw the fire, pictures of the king within it.

"Give me one of them" she grinned, snatching a picture from Johns hand and chucking it into the flame. He grabbed her shoulder, shaking it, a laugh leaving his mouth.

"Fucking love fire, i do" she whispered, looking at him.

"Come on folks, give us a bit of room" someone interrupted. "Tommy" he said. Both John, Thomas and Lottie looked behind them.

"You're Mr. Shelby?" the man with glasses asked. "I am"

John took Lottie to somewhere else, taking her away from the man.

"You said i'd be protected" the man stuttered. "You're protected" Tommy assured him. "What's going on" he asked. "There are some things i want you to write down" Tommy pointed.

"Now first of all, it's not that people around here are disloyal to the King" he began, "It's the opposite. You see, we don't want our beloved King looking down and seeing the things that are being done to us"

"So we are taking down his pictures"

"But why are you burning them Mr Shelby?"

"We went through hell for our king. Walked through the flames of war. Write this all down"

"Now we're being attacked in our own homes. These new coppers over from Belfast, breaking into our homes and interfering with our women"

"We don't think our King would want to see that happening" he admitted, glancing at Lottie who was holding Finn away from the fire.

"Is this necessary" She asked John, "Wont we get in trouble" she asked. He shook his head. "We're the peaky fucking blinders Lottie, we don't get in trouble"

She grinned widely and leaned into him.

Lottie's eyes landed on Reggie and Ronnie who were stood side by side at the other end of the crowd. She smiled softly at them and they nodded at the girl, choosing not to approach her due to her brothers being around.

Reggie pointed to her nose. 'What happened there?' he mouthed. She shrugged. 'Coppers' she mouthed.

-

"Who are you" Lottie frowned, sitting beside Isaiah at the bar. "I'm Grace" the blonde woman said quietly. "Can i have a whiskey please Grace" Lottie suggested.

"Your not old enough, sorry"

Lottie's eyebrows raised. "I asked for a whiskey" she repeated. Before Grace could say anything else, Harry intervened.

"Give the girl a whiskey" he placed a hand on the bar. "But-"

"Give the girl a whiskey, she's a Shelby" he whispered. Her eyes widened slightly, understanding. "Irish or Scottish"

"Irish" Lottie gleamed, placing her hands under her chin.

"The name is good for something eh?" Isaiah poked her side. "You see the betting shop before? Busiest i've seen it in a while" Lottie informed the boy.

"That why you're here with me" he asked, lighting a cigarette. "Maybe" she grinned.

"Heard you got caught sneaking out last week" He reminded her. "Sneaking in actually" she corrected. "What did Tommy say about that" he questioned. "Said that he'd let me off but next time he'd leave me to Pol"

"You with Reg?" he teased. She pushed him away, rolling her eyes.

"Don't like her" she whispered, nodding her head toward the new barmaid. "Why not"

"Somethings off about her"