15

"Dad? our katie's done a wee in the bed again" one of Johns kids shouted as John and Esme remained in the bedroom.

"I'll be there in a minute mate" John laughed.

Tommy walked in, looking at the two. "John i told you to keep the doors locked" he reminded. "I could've been anyone now get dressed, we're doing it today"

"As a matter of fact he's doing me today" Esme sat up. "Make sure he's done you by nine" Tommy pointed, leaving the room.

"You should learn to knock"

"It's not a day for knocking" Tommy said.

Polly stood, praying. "Dear lord may this day pass well, let none get hurt, and make them that do, not Shelby's" she whispered.

Lottie grinned, finding her Aunts acts funny.

"Watch John, because he has so many depending on him. Watch Arthur, because he's likely to hurt himself as much as anyone else"

"And watch Thomas, i know how he is but he does what he does for us"

"Speak of the fucking devil" Lottie sniggered as her brother appeared behind Polly.

Today was the day that they planned to fight with Billy Kimber, get rid of him.

-

"Am i allowed in this meeting" Lottie pulled on Tommy's sleeve and he looked down at her, nodding. "Right i've brought you all here today, because this is the day that we replace Billy Kimber" he stood tall.

"This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of race course book makers" he nodded.

"I don't know what that means but i'll act like i do" Lottie whispered.

"Your supposed to be 15" John reminder. "Don't go school anymore do i"

"But first" Tommy interrupted, " we do the dirty work. We've all known this days been coming"

"i just haven't told anyone the date"

He turned to the chalk board. "We're going to the Worcester Races. Track opens at one, we'll get there at two"

"Now Kimber thinks we're going there to help him fight the Lee brothers, but thanks to the efforts of our John, and his lovely new wife Esme" he pointed at them. "The lees are now our kin"

Lottie clapped her hands then awkwardly stopped realising nobody was clapping with her.

"I interrupted those efforts this morning and- i can assure you all John is making great sacrifices for the cause of peace"

"Yeah, all right" John stopped him, his arm around Esme.

"So it'll be us and the Lees against the Kimber boys" Tommy continued. "We take them out but leave the bookies"

"I expect a swift victory which will send a signal all the way to London that we believe in letting legitimate business run peacefully"

"That's a first" Lottie whispered.

"And uh, what about Kimber himself" John asked. "I'll deal with Kimber"

"Any other questions?"

"Yes" Polly nodded, standing at the doors of the betting den. "Does anybody object if i bring a new comer to the meeting"