78

Lottie stood beside Finn, her arms crossed. "Happy birthday, Pol" he said as their Aunt approached them. He handed her a red rose. "You grow grand in the horse shit Pol," Curly said.

Tommy frowned, "Curly, pour some beer, eh?"

Both him and Charlie lit a cigarette. "The train to London leaves in an hour. Arthur, Micheal, you're coming with me,"

"Tommy, i have to takew Gina to the hospital today" Micheal spoke.

"A week ago, one of our most trusted men was killed by Jimmy McCavern. The man we're going to speak to in London is establishing a relationship with Jimmy McCavern so cancel your appointments, and Ada can take Gina to the hospital"

"Cause thats what women do," Arthur added. "Clean that shit off your shoes before you get in me car, eh?" Tommy stared at Micheal.

Micheal took a deep breath.

"Micheal, they will give it and give it until your case is proven and then they'll take it. From you but mainly from me." Polly sighed.

"Polly, you go to the hospital and speak to Aberama Gold. You tell him there is a strategy in place to avenge the death of his son. So not to do anything rasj, and take with you the heartfelt condolences of the whole family"

"Why me?"

"Because Aberama Gold is in love with you. He even got a haircut." he said mockingly. "And the smell of your perfume might help ease his pain"

"Tommy, im 45 years old today"

"Forty five years old and still breaking hearts, eh?" he said.

Lottie sighed, hugging her fur coat to her body. "Yeah" Arthur shouted. "To Polly," Tommy raised his glass.

"Polly Gray, hmm?"

"Curly, organise a wagon to take Bonnie Gold's soul to heaven. Isiah, fetch his boxing gloves from the gym to burn with his body. Micheal, turn the Bentley around. We have a train to catch. Arthur snorted. "And dont forget to wipe that shit off your shoes, eh"

Lottie rolled her eyes, sharing a look with Micheal.

"Just start up the car and drive" Polly told him. Micheal shook his head, turning away to the car.

-

"So, whats the strategy?" Micheal asked as they walked up the stairs. "You can smile. And you, dont smile" He said to both him and Arthur.

Tommy pushed the door open.

"Nice, very nice, Tom. Although i must say, i thought your office would be bigger than this" Arthur grunted. "It will be," Tom sighed, "Micheal you sit, Arthur you stand by the window"

Arthur walked, stopping beside the curtain. "So, who are we meeting?"

"The man we're about to meet, is the minister for the Duchy of Lancaster. He is also deputy to the Chancellor of the Exchequer and cabinet advisor to the Primnister of Great Britain. You've both bet bad men before, the man we're about to meet is the devil"

The phone rang, "yep, send him in" Tommy exhaled, placing the phone down. Arthur and Micheal's heads turned to the door, watching as a dark haired man walked in.

"I never seem to get to meet you without your family" He spoke, sitting beside Micheal.

"I understand you know a man called Jimmy McCavern."

"May i take a cigarette?" he asked Tommy. He nodded. "Who on earth is Jimmy McCavern?"

"Over the last 12 months, you've been making approaches to various men across the country who you think might be able to help you in your cause, McCavern is one of these men. He runs the East Glasgow shipyards. He killed an associate of mine, i want to know what your strategy is"

"That ones your brother, yea?" he nodded toward Arthur. "Yes"

"And im his business advisor" Micheal said. "We would like to talk business."

"Micheal" he said. "Micheal Gray, you lost all your cousins money in America playing the fool" he tutted, "a night club in Detroit called Gladiator is your regular. You lost the money and found a wife there. ANd poor old Arthur Shelby standing there at the window is afraid his wife will never return"

Arthur gripped the wood of the chair.

"My spies tell me shes been seen with another man" he continued. "Arthur..Arthur" Tommy warned, watching as the wood broke underneath his hand. "His time will come" Tommy said in Romani.

"And bingo. Twenty seconds in, and i have them speaking their wog lingo. Mr Shelby i do have plans, i will have need of men like you. Except of course, there is no other man like you. You, in particular, i need. But please, dont imagine i would trouble myself with turf wars. You have many enemies. Shuffle the pack and pick another card" he stood, placing an envelope on the table. "That investigation of the dead journalist, the queer..i made that go away. Read it and er, come back to me. Next time bring only an open mind and a cigar to celebrate our union"

He threw the cigarette to the floor and turned, walking out. Tommy let out a breath, opening the envelope.

"What the fuck was that all about, Tom?" Micheal asked. "Fuck" Tommy whispered. Arthur shook his head, pushing the chair to the floor, breathing heavily.

"Arthur! Do not let them get inside your head. Thats exactly how these people work" Tommy shouted.

"Who the fuck are these people, hm? Who the fuck are they"

"Ive just been invited, to become the deputy leader of a brand new political party. These people say they are the future."