Do you think your better of alone?

Bill POV

As the days passed by, I couldn't shake off this nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. I knew Jordan wasn't going to jump for joy when I told her about the upcoming tour. After all, we had just moved into our first home together, and it was supposed to be a fresh start for us. But I thought she understood, I thought she was okay with it. She said she was, and I took her word for it.

The moment I saw her nod and force a smile, I could tell she was putting up a brave front. Her eyes betrayed a hint of disappointment, and I couldn't blame her. Packing up and leaving right after settling into our new place was a lot to take in. But I had commitments, and responsibilities to the band and the fans. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was one I had to make.

What puzzled me, though, was the way she began to keep her distance. In my mind, I had pictured this bittersweet farewell – passionate hugs, whispered promises and promises to stay connected despite the miles between us. Yet, it seemed like she was gradually withdrawing, emotionally and even physically.

I had expected her to be all over me, holding on tightly, cherishing every moment we had left before I had to hit the road. Instead, her hugs became shorter, her kisses less frequent. It was as if a wall had started to build between us, and I couldn't figure out why. Was she upset? Angry? Or was it something else entirely?

In the evenings, when we used to sit on the couch, heads nestled against each other, now there was a noticeable gap. Conversations that flowed effortlessly had turned into awkward pauses and strained exchanges. It was like we were dancing around some unspoken issue, but neither of us was willing to take the first step to address it.

I couldn't help but feel a mixture of frustration and confusion. Wasn't this supposed to be a time when we clung to each other even tighter? A time when we cherished the moments we had, knowing that the upcoming tour would keep us apart for a while? I had imagined we would make the most of our time together, and create memories that would sustain us through the tour.

But here I was, wondering what had gone wrong, why she seemed distant when I had expected her to draw near. Maybe I had misread her initial response. Maybe she was struggling more than she let on. Or maybe, just maybe, there was something deeper at play that I was yet to understand

As we sat on the sofa, the glow of the TV casting flickering shadows across the room, I could feel the weight of the unspoken tension between us. The time had come to address it, to dive into the uncomfortable conversation that had been hanging in the air for days.

"Hey, Jordan," I began, my voice slightly shaky despite my efforts to sound composed. "I've noticed something, and I just want to talk about it. You've been keeping your distance since I told you about the tour. Is there something bothering you?"

She turned her gaze away from the screen, her expression a mixture of surprise and apprehension. I could tell she hadn't expected me to bring it up so directly. After a moment's pause, she took a deep breath and spoke, her words carefully chosen.

"It's not that I'm upset about the tour, Bill," she started, her voice soft but tinged with emotion. "I mean, I knew this was part of your life when we got together. It's just... I guess I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed."

I furrowed my brow, puzzled. "Overwhelmed? With what?"

She looked down at her hands, fidgeting slightly. "Well, we moved into this new place, and it's supposed to be this exciting step for us, right? But then, just as we're settling in, you're about to leave for an extended period. I know it's your job, and I respect that, but it's like we finally got this place, and now it's going to be empty again."