Chapter 49

Penelope's POV

Monday afternoon, I was back home. I got myself showered, took a nap and got ready to go pick up the kids from my dads.

I was going to have dinner with them too. I have not spoken to Harrison yesterday and today. I wonder how they got on in Aspen. I was rested, slightly still drunk and had one of the best weekends ever celebrating Stassie.

I call Harrison but there is no answer. Stassie and William had a rule of no communication unless its about the kids.

"Hey." I say as Stassie answers. "Have you heard from William? I called Harrison but he hasnt answered. His phone is going to voicemail."

"Funny because the same happened to me. Maybe theyre too drunk." She chuckles. "Ive picked up Christopher and just came back home. I have a million messages and calls from Carter."

"Okay. Im gonna go to my dads. Let me know if you hear anything." I say

Weird.

I drive to my dads house which was a drive. Anxiety was settling in. Harrison usually went days without calling on his trips but most recently we have been joined by the hip. Were together unless hes at work and even at work he will text me and call me.

Its kind of sad to see it revert back to how it was.. I wasnt trying to be the forgotten lonely housewife anymore. I played that role. Its not for me.

"Hey!" I say as I walk into the house. Ashley was always the first one to greet me. It was so weird how awfully natural my relationship with Ashley was. From the beginning we were just comfortable around each other. "Hey Ash."

"Where is dad?" He asks. "He hasnt come home yet." I tell him.

"Hi dad." I say hugging my dad. He was holding Azaiah. "How are you?"

"Im good. I am tired." I say hugging Azaiah. "I missed you..."

"Ruby and Riley are outside playing with Crystal."

"Thanks so much dad."

"You look well rested. Happy." He says watching me. "Thanks. I got these to thank for that and their lovely dad." I say squeezing Ashley's cheek.

"Go tell them to come inside so we can get ready for dinner." My dad says to Ashley who nods.

"How are you really?"

"Dad. My marriage is good for once. I promise." I say and he nods. "Thats good to hear." He says. "Thats all that matters but you know why I have reservations. Sometimes you disappear and go into hiding and I know something is wrong."

"I know..." I say. I know how my marriage looked from the outside. A fucking mess.

"Im starting my business up again." I say. "Harrison got me a space."

"Yes... thats good." He says. "Get your independence away from wife and mother."

"Thanks for the life advice dad." I say and he chuckles kissing the top of my head.

"Is Harrison joining?"

"No he has not come home yet." I say and he nods. I check my phone but nothing.

We sit down for dinner and I chat away with the kids and my parents. My phone starts ringing and I look at it. It was Harrison.

I excuse myself for a second so I could yell at him without my dad hearing.

"Hello?" I say answering.

"Penelope." He says.

"Ive called you a million times."