CHAPTER 1

The year is 1837 and the ruling king is Dalamasu Ngwemabala Zulu. His queen is Azibuye Zulu ka Xulu and the crowned prince is Busizwe Zulu.

"Angeke sabuswa umntwana womuntukazana thina! Never!" The woman wearing the biggest isicholo exclaims. Her legs are stretched out on the grass mat. Her isidwaba is so long, it reaches her ankles. She huffs at the girl serving her water. "I don't want water, ntombazane. Bring me meat and ujeqe." She demands and the girl quickly scurries away, scared to anger the huge woman.

"But the has given us a lot of princes and princesses. Already Prince Busizwe is being groomed to lead our beautiful nation after his father has departed this earth. He also possesses great qualities of being an honorable and humble king. What more do you want from the young prince and the queen, queen mother?" The royal advisor questions and the queen mother scoffs. The earlier maiden brings her hot meat in a wooden tray. She looks at the meat as if she is judging it and then finally accepts it. The young maiden exhales and then heads out.

"So we should be thankful to the queen for doing her duty? She came here to please my son and give me grandchildren, and she has done that. There is no need for me or the whole kingdom to thank her. Now my son needs a royal wife to bear him an heir to the throne, a future king to rule and unite all kingdoms. No one is going to take us seriously if our kingdom is ruled by a son of a mere maiden. I have the perfect princess who is going to give my son a healthy and strong boy. In fact, the maidens should be here in any day, ukuzoqoma." The queen mother states proudly before indulging on her hot food and downing it like it is not boiling hot.

"You have had 17 years to raise this issue and you are choosing now of all times? Why?" The king asks looking at his mother. He does not seem pleased about this conversation. In fact he is fed up.
"Don't act as if you don't know what is going on. You went to war, Dali. You got injured and that wound was infected with umuthi. It is not healing. Soon you are going to leave this world and when that happens, I want everything to be in order. I want my family to remain strong and steady and in order to succeed in that, you should marry a princess and give her an heir." She responds with so much confidence. She doesn't even care about the tense atmosphere in the room. All she cares about is her plans succeeding.

"Mother, that's enough!" The king shouts and she frowns. "You are not going to divide my home and the entire kingdom over some silly superstitions. Don't you realize that your actions and words can be taken as a direct insults to my in-laws? Is all this worth it?" She grunts but doesn't answer. "Busizwe is here. He was born to be a king and he is going to lead the Zulu kingdom to a better future after I depart from this earth. Stop disrespecting my wife. She is the queen of this whole nation and that makes her more powerful than you. She can banish you if she wants and I wouldn't stop her because your actions are downright insulting. We are not going to discuss this matter any further." The king clicks his tongue before standing up and storming off.

The queen mother grunts and turns her sights to the queen who is seated across her. "You know very well what will happen if your son ascends the throne. The whole nation will turn on us. Our own ancestors will turn their backs on us. Do the right thing and advise your husband on taking a royal wife. If it comes from you, he will bend. The future of the whole kingdom lies in your hands. Don't mess this up."

The queen sighs. "I hear you, queen mother, but the king is my husband and I am not going to go against his decision just to please you or anyone else for that matter. Busizwe has been chosen by the Gods and our ancestors to rule this kingdom and he will do so with grace and honor."
"You foolish girl. How dare you speak to me in that manner? And are you that power hungry?" The queen mother responds with so much venom.
"Let's ask the people and hear what they have to say about my son ruling this kingdom, but we all know what the answers will be. So stop wasting your time. If I were you, I would send a messenger to tell those maidens travelling with the princess to go back home. Their trip bears futile results." She gets up to follow her husband, leaving the queen mother cursing behind.

***

"Is it the same dream?" Gogo Mnguni asks and I nod, sitting up. My body aches from sleeping on a grass mat. One can never get used to sleeping on the floor after sleeping on a comfortable bed for 30+ years. I have been having this recurring dream for months now. Every night it always go further but I seem to wake up before seeing what actually occurs in the end and who wins. "The message is loud and clear, Melamina. The ancestors approve of your son as the future king but the living are always looking for ways to change the narrative in order for it to benefit or please them. A lot of trouble is coming your way. I can even foresee bloodshed. You just need to toughen up and fight for yourself and your family. If you don't, people will do as they please with you. Strengthen yourself, Melamina, because this is far from over. It's only just beginning."