CHAPTER 19

Three days in the palace was enough for me. I couldn’t handle the shade anymore. Also, I had to go back to my life. Which is why my family and I are back in Durban. In a way, I decided to put this issue of the second wife at the back of my mind. I am only going to entertain it and say my peace at the family meeting in a week. But for now I am going to move on with life and be there for my family. I am not ready to go back to work yet, so I am just going to spend some quality time with my kids.

I got into contact with Gogo Mnguni before returning to Durban and she told me that there is a dark cloud that hangs over our family. She did not specify which one but she told me to fast and pray. Some of the things that are going to happen, I can’t stop them because they are inevitable and they are going to reveal some truths that have been buried for a long time. I am curious to know what’s going on but one thing I have learned in my spiritual journey is that you can never rush ancestors. They have their own timing.

I get dressed in a print one shoulder ruffle trim crop top with knee length and some black heeled sandals. It takes me half an hour to doll myself up and fix my hair. By the time I am done, I look good, I smell good and I feel good. I make sure everything is in my purse before heading to the lounge where my husband is busy working on his laptop and Zweli is seated next to him watching whatever programme that is playing on the TV.

“Zweli, do you want to accompany mommy on a little errand?” I ask and both men turn to look at me. Kuhle frowns at me.
“And where are you headed, Mrs. Zulu?” he asks, placing his laptop on the coffee table and taking off his reading glasses. And then? Zweli jumps up from the couch and puts on his sneakers.

“Ready whenever you are, mom.” He answers as he comes to take my purse.
“I asked you a question, Mela.” My husband states. He is still seated on the couch.
“To town or Umhlanga. Wherever the road leads us.” I shrug and he stands up.
“Dressed like that?” Aibo u Kuhle. I roll my eyes.

“No one is going to steal your wife, grandpa.” I take a step closer to him and perk his lips. “Now be a good boy and I might just buy you some sweet treats.” I whisper to his ear and he groans. “I love you boo, and don’t track me, I will know.” I hook my arm on my son’s arm and then we head out. We climb into one of the cars and the driver drives out.

“Where to, Mrs. Zulu?” he asks.
“Land Rover garage in Umhlanga.” He nods and then continues driving. I turn to my son.
“Christmas just came early for you, dear son. Today, anything you want that is reasonable, you are going to get it. As long as it doesn’t break any rules.” He grins.
“Are you serious, ma?” I nod. “Wow. Let me think for a few minutes and I will get back to you.” I laugh and nod. “Now why are we driving to a garage? You have enough cars, ma.”

“I know. I just want to get your dad a little toy.” He frowns.
“That guy has a lot of cars and he hardly drives them around. I think he has forgotten half of them.”

I chuckle. “Men never forget their cars, my love. Anyways, he likes me, so even if I were to get him a pair of underwear, he would treasure them as if Jesus himself had worn them.” He laughs. It feels nice to be able to spend some time with him away from everybody else.

During our ride to Umhlanga, he tells me about his friends from school, his studies and what he wishes to be when he grows up. He is a fascinating young man. He actually wants to be a politician. Can you believe it? But his dreams are valid, just like yours. We get to the garage and as soon as we enter the reception area, a young lady comes our way with a smile.

“Good day and welcome to Land Rover dealership. I am Zoleka Ngwenya and I will be assisting you with anything you need today. If it’s to look around, test drive or make a purchase. Anything you need, I am available.”
I smile at her. “Thank you. I am Melamina Zulu and I have something very particular in mind. I would like to have a look at the Defender range you have.”

Her eyes pop out. “Melamina as in Princess Melamina Zulu?” I smile politely and nod. “Ow My God. I can’t believe it. You are here. Wow.” She clears her throat and tries to compose herself. Zweli chuckles besides me. He knows the kind of effect I have on people. “Please follow me this way, Your Royal Highness.” I am glad he didn’t say Majesty. We pass a lot of tempting and beautiful cars until we reach the Defender family. Fuck. These cars make me wet.

“As you can see here, Mrs. Zulu, we have a two door Defender 90 SE which has a body coloured standard roof…” she goes to explain its features and specifications. She continues to the 110, the 130 and the others. “All these range from R1 500 000 to R2 000 000.” I nod.

The ones that she has shown me are beautiful but not enough to drive my husband insane. We walk further and I freeze when I spot a black beast fit for a king. “That is the Defender 130 V8. It has a body coloured standard roof, door handles, you can actually choose the type of features you want in it and we will make everything possible for you. That’s why we are here, to cater to your needs. The recommended retail price is R3 015 700, but you can pay in instalments.” I nod and turn to her. I am already sold and by the time I exit this garage, my account will suffer a loss of 3 million but it will be worth it.

“I am taking this one, Miss Ngwenya. I want everything in my husband’s name. You can sync his devices to it but discretely because I want it to be a surprise. I am also paying cash. Where do I sign?” I ask as I take out my silver pen and her eyes pop out. I am a multi-millionaire. Spending a mere three million is not going to put a dent on my account.

NQABAYOMUZI ZULU

He arrived at the Mkhwanazi palace in KwaDlangezwa and he was immediately let in by the guards. They led him to the patio where he found his sister feeding her infant daughter baby food. He greeted both of them and kissed his sister on the forehead.

“If I didn’t know better, I would say you have done something wrong, Nqabayomuzi.” Lisa started off and Nqaba just laughed.
“What’s wrong with me visiting my sister in her marital home? Or am I forbidden? Have I done something worth me being forbidden? Enlighten me, sisi.” He sat back comfortably and Lisa just rolled her eyes.

“You have that look in your eyes that I know all too well, Nqaba.” One the servants brought them some muffins with juice and Lisa thanked them. “Now spill before my husband comes home.”
Nqaba huffed and looked at his sister. Lisa always knew how to read them like the back of his hand. Which is why he came here, to talk to the one person whom he knew would understand him better than anyone. “You know about the drama at the palace, right?”

“Who doesn’t? I feel bad for not having checked on sis Mela. I hope she is doing well. What are the folks doing about any of this? They can’t let my brother suffer. They all know he doesn’t do polygamy.”

“They are very relaxed on this one. Dad said Kuhle must sort this out as a man. He is the future king. So this is a test to see if he is capable of keeping the kingdom in check.”
“Seems like he is failing.” Lisa commented as she stopped feeding the little princess and then helped her burp.

“The princess, Zisanele. The one who is at the centre of it all. I can’t allow her to marry my brother.”
Lisa tilted her head to the side and kept her eyes on her brother. “Care to elaborate?”

“She is the one for me. Has been for a long time. I am in love with her, sisi. And every second that passes with her as bhut Kuhle’s supposed fiancé kills me. I don’t know what to do.”

Lisa sighed and sat back. “You are a Zulu prince. A warrior at heart, Nqaba. You are strong, and that is why you were named the pillar of the family. If she is it for you, fight for her, man. Hear what she has to say first and if she is on board, tell dad and then go ask for her hand in marriage from her father. He won’t decline because Kuhle never came for her. I will back you up in whatever you may need. But you need to be sure if she is on the same page with you, or else all this will be for nothing.”

Nqaba swallowed hard and nodded at his sister. He knew Lisa was right and in a way, he was glad he came here to talk to her. Becoming queen nurtured her into becoming a wise and fearless woman. There was only one thing left for him to do. Fuck, this was going to be hard.