CHAPTER 39

I am not a difficult wife. I swear I’m not. I’m the sweetest. The problem is I was gifted with a very brilliant mind, a spiritual gift and a bit of an attitude to back that up. So after taking that well deserved free day with Busi, my husband decided to ground me. Yes, me, a 36 year old woman. He grounded me because I disobeyed his orders and hung up on him. I think the last time I was grounded was when I went to Cape Town for a concert and got mugged. That was when dad brought in Omama Bomthandazo to pray for me because he thought I was beyond saving.

The husband of the year took away all my gadgets and even locked my work office just so I can feel the effect of the ‘grounding’ and not touch anything work related. He took a day off just to be with me. Shame on him because I am not playing that game with him. He will sit by himself in the lounge and watch that TV all alone. I am so mad at him. The nerve of this man after I bought him a brand new car worth millions. It I was crazy enough, I would burn it.

Like a dotting housewife, I prepare breakfast for him and go place it on the coffee table along with his breakfast punch juice.

“Thank you, MaCele. Aren’t you joining me?” he asks as I walk away and I don’t answer him. “Are you planning on giving me the silent treatment all day?” the fact that he picked up on the silent treatment early is the reason why I won’t let him off the hook that easily. I just go place the tray in the kitchen and clean up. I need to find a way to contact my friends or else I will go insane.

My mean husband made sure that he informs all the guards not to give me their phones. Yes he is mean and I stand by that. But I know someone who doesn’t fear him. Our Gardner, Mamu Mthiya. She is also very traditional and believes I should listen to my husband all the time. I just need to find a way to trick her into helping me. I put on a pinafore and garden boots and head to the garden. I immediately spot her in the vegetables section. She smiles when she sees me.

“KaMagaye. What a pleasant surprise. You are not working today?”
I move closer to her. “Yes, MA. After what our family has been through these days, I figured I need to take a few days off and be home.”

She nods in understanding. “Yeah, you need the rest. I will continue praying for you, my children.”
I smile. “Thank you for that, ma.”
“Let me grab tools for you so that we can work.” I nod and she heads to the shed.

I spot her phone on bench with a jug a water. I know old people don’t have passwords. So I quickly take it and send a “SOS GROUNDED” text to Lee and Noma. I know they are busy, but this is an emergency and they need to rescue me. I know I would rescue them because that’s what we do for each other. She comes back with some gloves, a watering can and a small shovel.

“Let’s get to work.” She states.
“Before we begin, ma, can we pray? I know there is power in numbers.”
She smiles widely. “You are a beautiful person inside out, Nkosazane.” She holds my hand and sings a short song before we start praying. She is that type that prays for long, even involves tongues in there. But her prayer is very powerful. I find myself connecting with God and seeing visions clearer. When she is done, I just hug her.

“Mama, what your son is going through, he will overcome it. We just need to go to the ocean and do a cleansing ceremony and all will be solved in the end.”
Her eyes pop out. “How did you know about that?”
I smile. “You know about my gift, mama.”

She sighs and pulls me to the bench. We both sit down. “We have consulted a number of healers but they haven’t been able to assist him. They keep on saying he should buy this and that, slaughter this or that but none of those things bring him even closer to solving his problems and getting his life back.”

“The only reason I don’t do consultations is because I work a lot, but I do know that when my husband becomes a king, I need to be less at my work and be more present in the business of assisting people with my gift. With that being said, your son is being bewitched by your younger brother, the one who stays in Mbumbulu. I am sorry to have to say this so upfront but that’s the honest truth. He hasn’t been able to find help because he is going with his uncle everywhere and that makes healers not see that he is the root of all your son’s problems.”

She gasps and trembles. “A friend of mine told me that the problem is much closer than we think. I just didn’t listen to her. Oww, my son. What did I do to my brother for him to do this to my only son? I uplifted his life and even took him to varsity. This is his way of thanking me? Why are people so cruel and self centered?”
I sigh. “Just call him and tell him to come here. Don’t tell him about his uncle. That would break his heart. Just say the prince wants to see him and he has a job offer for him that he can’t refuse.”

She exhales loudly. “And what will happen after that?”
“On Saturday morning, I will take him to the ocean where I will do a cleansing ritual for him. You also need to be there. You also need to be cleansed. After that, I will have to go home with you and cleanse your house and his house.”

“Oww Melamina.” She hugs me. “Thank you so much for this, my child. How much is the cleansing going to be?”
“You both just need to bring R1 each and all will be well. You know me, mama. I am a multi-millionaire. I can’t charge someone for helping them with something I was given as a gift. I have nothing against healers who need the money to survive but if I take money from people, it will be like I am exploiting them.”

“I understand, sisi. May God continue to bless you abundantly.”
I smile. “Thank you, mama. I just need to go inside and pray about this.”

“Let me not stop you, Ndabezitha.” I squeeze her hand and head back inside the house. The issue with her son was so random, but it also helped me evade garden work. I’m definitely not for nature. When I get inside the house, I hear voices in the lounge.

“How did you get here without Futhy telling you her whereabouts?” I hear Kuhle asking.
“Well, we had a manicure and pedicure appointment at 8 am and she did not show up. She also did not answer her phone. So I called the office and they said she wasn’t there. This is the only place she can be in.” Lies just come easily to Noma shame. But if I was in her shoes, I would also come up with a quick story that would get her out of a situation like this.

“Well, she is not here. She went to pray in the mountains. I’m not sure when she will be back.” Kuhle responds and Lee chuckles.

“Well, we will wait for her then.” She replies. “When she comes in, tell her that she will find us at the woman cave.” Since my husband wanted a man cave, I also made half of the basement a woman cave. It has a different entrance.

“Oww, for fuck sake, I will go call her.”  I hear some shuffling and I quickly head to my prayer room. I take off the boots and head inside. I light a white candle and after a few moments, I hear a knock. “Melamina.” He has the utmost respect for my prayer room. So I know he won’t say shit while standing in front of it.

“Yebo Ndabezitha.”
He opens the door slightly but does not come in. “You have visitors.”
“What do they want?”
He sighs. “They are here to see Ntombifuthi.” I nod.

“Thokoza mkhulu.” He walks away and I get up from the grass mat. I love my gift. He can’t even express his anger or thoughts when I’m in my sanctuary. I step out of the room and I see my friends coming down the corridor.

“Tase, you might have pushed your husband’s button to a point of no return this time around.” Lee whispers when they are nearer. I just chuckle and hug them.

“IF I don’t challenge him, then I’m not giving him the full ‘Futhy experience.’ He needs to sweat and worry every once in a while. I will spend my forever with this one. So we can’t be all lovey dovey all the time.”

Noma laughs. “You women are the worst. You don’t want sad times, you also don’t want too much happy times. You like confusing yourself.” I roll my eyes.

“When I’m queen, I wont get the opportunity to dodge guards, so allow me to enjoy my smallanyana freedom. This way ladies.” I lead them to the woman cave and Noma immediately goes to the fridge.

“I need a real cider. Not the wine nonsense I always drink on royal dinners.” She takes out a cider in the fridge and opens it with her teeth. She then drinks almost half of it in one go and burps. “Now that’s what I call a beverage.” Both Lee and I laugh. Noma will always be a savage, even with an actual crown on her head. I am glad they came to my rescue. Now we will spend all day chilling and drinking here. Abe right u husband shame.