CHAPTER 40

PRINCE KUHLEKONKE ZULU

KaMahlaba’s death anniversary celebration was postponed due to a few family issues but we are finally home for the festivities. It’s really hard to set a date and get everyone to gather. The twins from overseas are always the hardest because, at their age, their mother still hates it when they visit South Africa. I don’t think that woman will ever heal from the relationship she had with dad.

My wife somehow apologized for disobeying me. After she threw a tantrum and invited her friends over, ignoring me all day, she woke me up at 2 am, crying and begging for my forgiveness. I think the tears were influenced by the alcohol. She fell asleep after I said I forgive her and everything has been perfect ever since. No matter how dramatic she can get, I love all 50 shades of her. The good, the bad, the ugly and the petty. Yes, she was petty for throwing that tantrum.

“I think Thembisile is pregnant.” Sbo states. We are catching up with my brothers because we hardly ever do that. The overseas twins are somewhere around the yard, probably doing vlogs or something. They may be old but they are still cheese boys.

“That’s great, bafo. But why don’t you sound so excited?” I ask and he sighs.
“She has been saying that she is not ready for kids ever since we got married. Now I’m worried what she will do if she discovers that she is pregnant. What if she wants to terminate? I can’t tell her not to go through with it because that’s her body. My mind is just all over the place.” He scratches his head.

“People may say they don’t want kids but react in a totally different way when gifted with them. She might surprise you. Also, you can’t kill Zulu blood. She has been in the family for quite sometime. She knows the consequences.” Nqaba responds and I agree with him. Yes, I’m all for women empowerment but I can never understand a married woman who would terminate her pregnancy unless there are serious reasons for that. Maybe a medical condition, infidelity or other deep reasons.

“All things will work out, bafo. Just have faith and trust that your wife will be open and honest with you when she finds out about the pregnancy.” I tell him and he nods. I turn to Nqaba. “When is the wedding?”

He smiles widely. Ever since he showed his interest to Princess Zisanele, he has been running around like a headless chicken. He had to pay lobola for her before he can take her out freely without her family wanting to intervene. I think they were in Libya last week for a little romantic getaway. Young love. “November. I wanted it to be in September but there is the annual reed dance, so no. Umembeso and Umkhehlo is in July and they are bringing umbondo in May.”

“Look at you getting married so quick. I thought you were still going to fuck around maybe a few years before settling down.” Mkhululi teases and we all laugh.

“True love only comes once. And when it comes, you just know that time for playing is over. This is your future. Secure it and live happily ever after.” Nqaba speaks like a love sick puppy. But I have been there before. Hell, I’m still there. There is a reason why I don’t even dream of cheating on or abusing my wife and that’s because true love struck me and I have been a gone man ever since.

“Mina, I’m happy for you, bafo. But I will live my life freely and maybe settle down after I reach 30.” Simingezwi responds.

“There you guys are. I have been looking everywhere for you.” Someone states and we all turn to see Lisa. She hugs each and every one of us and sits on the vacant seat next to Simingezwi. “Heard you were getting married, bafo. You want me to assist your bride with anything?” she asks.

“Teach her how to cook.” Nqaba mumbles and we break into laughter.
“You are so ungrateful. I’m the reason you guys are getting married. Firstly you were too much of a coward to approach her.”

“Explain.” Sbo probes.
“He invited her on a lunch date pretending to be me. I deserve a gift for being a match maker.” She flaps her mini lashes and we laugh because we are not used to her being this dramatic.

A loud scream breaks our fun moment. I know my wife’s voice from anywhere, so I know that’s her scream and not a happy one. I get up from the couch and sprint to our bedroom because that’s where I last saw her. When I get there, I find her standing far away from the bed and looking Like she has seen a ghost. My eyes travel to where she is looking at and I see a snake on the bed next to a sleeping Kuhlesibonge. It’s looking straight at my wife like it wants to attack her but it's not getting any closer. I take out my gun and cock it. The snake turns to look at me and makes hissing sounds.

“Nkosana, don’t shoot.” I hear Mthembu’s voice behind me.
“Mvelase, that damn snake is near my child. What if it eats him?” I ask. How can he be calm about this?
“That’s an ancestral snake.”

“And why does it look like it wants to attack my wife? Fuck this.” I step closer and it hisses at me one more time before it rolls out of the bed and leaves through the balcony. I run to Kuhlesibonge and pick him up. He doesn’t even stir. I turn to look at my wife who seems to be frozen in time. Fuck. Her Ophidiophobia is kicking in. I give Kuhlesibonge to someone else and walk towards my wife. I touch her and she doesn’t respond.

“Step aside, Nkosana.” Mthembu states and I look at him before I take a step back. He blows some white powder in my wife’s face and she immediately faints. I catch her before she hits the floor. “Take her to the hut.” He orders and I nod before carrying her outside.

×××

MELAMINA ZULU

Somehow I find myself in the Zulu graveyard. It is so quiet and a bit creepy. I never got that feeling before, but today it seems like I am trespassing. I wonder around and I am a bit confused because I can’t see all the queens and the other ancestors. When I get to Queen Lubelihle’s tree. I see her looking at me with disappointment all over her face. I swallow hard and step closer. Instead of sitting next her, I sit down on the grass because I don’t know what I did wrong. She huffs.

“Melamina, Zulu children are our children. What we do with them is our decision, not yours. You don’t control what happens in their lives. You don’t have the right to change or suppress what we give them.” I can feel her anger from where I’m seated. I have a slight idea of what she is on about but I won’t make assumptions.

“Mama, what have I done?” I ask.
“Don’t act like you don’t know. We may be dead but we live amongst you. We hear everything you say, especially you. Thunjana is our child. We gave him that gift for a reason and you wanting to put it to sleep really angered us. We would never burden our child with more than he can handle. We are not crazy. We can see that he is young but he is ours and we will always protect him. You shouldn’t stick your nose where it doesn’t belong.” I look down.

“I understand that you are disappointed in me, mama. Sibonge is merely a child. I wished for him to have a normal childhood. But if you are saying I should leave him be, then I will do so because I respect  you and the other elders.”

“Look at me.” I raise my head and look at her. “We love you, Melamina. You are brave, courageous, kind and loving. We trust that you will hold the kingdom tight and make sure it grows. We trust that you will be enough for your husband and your kingdom. Don’t break our trust by doing something like this because we will lose our trust in you.”

I nod. “I understand, ma.”
“That’s all I wanted to say. Now your mother would like to speak to you.” She stands up and KaMahlaba appears behind her. I quickly get up from the ground and rush to her. I hug her and she chuckles before hugging me back.

“How are you, my child?”
I step back and sniff. “We miss you, ma. We even gathered this weekend just to celebrate your love.”
She smiles. “I am glad that you all are gathering and you are still united. Melamina, please listen to the ancestors. They know best and they would never deceive you.”
I sigh. “But I’m scared, mama.”

“Don’t be, we are here with you. Always. Now you need to go before you get too comfortable.” I chuckle and sniff. “Tell my husband I miss him and that he should clear out my room and let me go. This thing of him being lonely while there are people around him all the time is not on.” I didn’t even know that the king was missing his wife, but I don’t blame him. Losing a partner is never easy and it’s a wound that never heals.

“You want him to replace you?” I ask in a teasing tone and she laughs.
“MaMolefe would kill him, and he also promised that she was the last one, so no new mothers.” I laugh and she also laughs. I just hug her once more. I miss her daily and I feel so privileged to actually get a chance to see her in the spiritual realm.