CHAPTER 10

I wish I was here for a business venture or for pleasure instead of a funeral. However, there is no way to avoid the inevitable. As soon as my plane lands at the airport, I text Mabutho while making my way to the car. He responds with the name of the hospital where Lee’s mother is at and my guards quickly drive me there. Upon my arrival at the hospital, I enquire Lee’s whereabouts before heading to her. I find her sitting on one of the chairs in the waiting room looking so lost. My heart breaks for her. I don’t wanna be the bearer of bad news, so I am just going to wait until the doctor tells her.

“Tase.” I call out and she looks up. Her eyes pop out and she runs into my arms. Then she starts wailing.
“I need more time with her, Futhi. I need more time with her. This is unfair. She has righted her wrongs. She has warmed her way back into my heart. She can’t just leave when we are finally on the best of terms. Like how is that even logical?” she asks in between sobs and I wish I had an answer for her but I don’t.

“Babe, calm down. You need to think positively. All this negativity is not right.”
She steps away from me and shakes her head. “There is no reason to sugar coat things for me, Futhi. You know that she is dying. Before you arrived, the doctors said she has a few hours left to live. I should call my siblings and close family members so that they can say their goodbyes before she departs this earth. What am I going to do? What am I going to say to Thembelihle and Thembisile? They need mom. I need mom. I am not ready to live without her. It feels like yesterday when we just reconciled. I can’t lose her tase.” She shakes her head multiple times and I just bring her back into my arms and hug her tightly. She breaks down and I sniff to keep my own tears at bay.

“No one is expecting you to be strong in this situation. Both Thembelihle and Thembisile are adults. They have men in their lives who can comfort them. You have two kids whom you need to worry about their wellbeing, especially Sthuli. This is going to break her heart but you just have to be there to comfort her. I am here for you and I will be your pillar of strength. You are not alone. Lean on me, tase.” I move us to the couch and we sit down. She lays her head on my lap and I comfort her until I feel her body getting heavy and her breath evening. I wonder when the last time she slept or ate was. She looks like a shadow of the woman I am used to.

I take my phone and text my husband, letting him know that I got here safely and then update him on the situation. I then tell my parents and our friends. If Lee’s mom dies today or tomorrow, she might get buried in three or four days. People overseas don’t wait that long to bury people. An hour later Mbusowenkosi, Lee’s brother, and his wife Ethel, make their way in. we exchange greetings and they sit down.

“How long has she been out?” Mbuso asks, pointing at Lee.
“An hour or two. I don’t think she has slept a wink ever since her mother got admitted here.” I respond truthfully and she nods.
“We were in Fiji when she told us about mom but she downplayed it, thinking that it was a minor thing, until 2 days ago when she called hysterical and told us what mom was diagnosed with. Honestly, I never thought that she would be the one to be by mom’s side in her last moments given how they were a few years ago.” He mutters and sits back. “I am just glad that they patched up their relationship before it was too late.”

I nod. I am also glad that Lee reconciled with her mother. If they hadn’t until her last breath, Lee might not have gotten the apology or explanation she needed. “Did you inform your dad?”
Mbuso shakes his head. “Tina, his wife, is not a fan of mom. So we didn’t inform him about her sickness. But now it seems like we don’t have a choice.”

I look at Ethel. “How is the big guy doing?”
She smiles sadly. “He is growing. Such a curious pre-teen. I don’t know how he is going to take the news of his grandmother passing. He adores her.” I nod. I know my kids would be shattered if mom or any of the remaining Zulu wives were to pass on.

***
The rest of Lee’s siblings arrived and they got to see Lee’s mother and spent her last hours on earth with her. She passed on at 3:40 am and it came as a shock to her kids even though they were expecting it. Thembelihle even fainted and that was when she discovered that she is pregnant. She can’t even celebrate the good news because of the circumstances surrounding her.

Noma and I decided to help with the funeral preparations and with Ethel’s assistance, we were able to plan everything according to the procedure here in England. We informed her colleagues, friends and neighbours. Turns out, there is no sitting in the sponge here for a week and receiving prayers and condolences from neighbours and members of different congregations. They don’t even have a night vigil. Just a service at the church, a short one at the cemetery and a wake at home where people are served finger foods and sandwiches. Nothing too heavy.

***

It has been a draining week and watching Lee deal with grief has been weighing down on my spirituality. I haven’t been sleeping well and I have been having nightmares from Dalamasu’s reign. The Zulu ancestors are hell bent on showing me each and every detail that occurred in that era. In a way, it is relatable seeing the Princess Zisanele situation, but honestly, I am tired of dreaming about this. Some events are too gruesome and at times I wish it can just turn off my brain because it gets too much.

“Mama, I can’t find my other shoe.” A voice startles me and I turn to see Sthuli standing at the edge of the bed, staring at me with those soul piercing eyes of hers. I swear, this kid’s eyes see more than she lets on.

“Where did you last see them?” I ask, getting up and walking to her. She holds my hand and leads me to her room. Lee’s mom’s house is not a huge mansion but each and every one of her grandchildren have their own rooms here. She points at the closet and I look at the one shoe she is wearing. I head over to the closet and search for the other missing pair. When I find it I turn to her and she quickly climbs into the bed and indicates that I should help her put it on. I do as she silently asks. “Have you eaten?” I ask and she shakes my head. In a way, I have been taking care of her while Noma has been taking care of Lee’s son since Lee is kind of distracted. “Let’s go find something to eat.” I take her hand and lead her to the kitchen.

“Is it true that they are going to throw grandma in the soil and leave her alone there today?” she enquires in a small voice and I swear my insides recoil. Who the fuck told a 6 year old something like that? I clear my throat and turn to her.

“Baby, your grandma is going to be a guardian angel from today onwards and in order for her to be a good one, she has to go via the grave. She won’t even stay there for long. After we leave, she will go to heaven where she will start watching over you and your brothers and mommy. Okay?” she nods.

“Is mommy going to be okay? She was crying alone in the bathroom this morning while holding grandma’s picture.” I think I liked her better when she was shy and quiet.
“She is going to be fine, baby. I am here for her and I will make sure she is okay. Now, let’s eat before we go to church.” She gives me a small smile before nodding. These kids are too clever for their own good.
*
*
*
My beautiful readers, I was missing y’all and I just decided to pop by and drop this chapter. My working hours are terrible, which is why I hardly find time to write anything. I don’t even have a laptop but just know that I miss you all and we are still in Princess Melamina’s reign.