CHAPTER 31

JABULILE CELE

Due to the sudden weather change, we stay in the cars. Everyone knows that once there are heavy winds in the rural areas, you get dirty whether you like it or not. A security guard opens the gate and comes out. He walks straight to our car because it's the nearest one and knocks at my husband's window. Ndosi opens the window.

"Is there something we can help you with?" The security asks. He looks a bit old. Definitely not strong enough to guard such a big homestead but maybe there are armed men guarding the perimeter that we haven't seen yet. Before my husband answers, I take over.
"We are on a quest lapha baba. Is this the home of Nqobimpi Solomon Mkhize?" I ask and the man frowns.
"No one has heard that name around here in a long time. Why are you looking for him?" There is so much hostility in his voice and body language.
"Stop asking questions, young man, and let us in." My sister groans from the back seat, almost sounding more like a man. The security frowns and steps back a little.

My sister climbs out of the car and I have no choice but to follow her. She limps to the gate and the security does nothing to stop her. The gate opens but Ntombi doesn't step inside. She remains rooted on the ground. Few moments later, a couple of people come to the gate from inside the homestead. One of them is an old man who resembles my father in such an uncanny way. He is dressed in sangoma regalia.

"Ntombikababa, it took you long enough to find your way home." The man who looks like my father starts off. He is just as tall as him, same complexion, the only thing that differentiates them is the pot belly. This one doesn't have it.
Ntombi clears her throat. "How do you know me?" The man laughs and then turns to one of the people standing besides him.
"Bring us water in a basin and a live chicken." He orders and a young man quickly walks away. He then turns to us. "I knew that one day my brother's actions will come back to haunt him. How are your children?" That question is directed to me because he is looking straight at me with a small smile on his face. He is dad's brother. He should be way older and grey but I guess he takes good care of himself. So weird.

"Not good. They are the reason why we are here." I start off and he grins.
"I know why you are here. How is the one with a gift like mine? U Lwandle?" This man must be powerful enough to know my daughter's name. Lwandlelwethu is a name that my mother used to say she would have named me with if the Home Affairs people did not write English names on my birth certificate. It was special and that's why I gave it to Futhi.

"She is unconscious." I respond and he shakes his head.
"That one is lost for now. The ancestors like her and they wanna keep her." Say what now? The young man from earlier comes back with a basin and another one is carrying a live chicken. My father's brother steps out of the gate and instructs them to put the basin in front of me. They also hand me the chicken. What the hell am I supposed to do with it? "Your father left this place in a bad way. He wasn't in speaking terms with our father and that has stirred a lot of trouble. This is all part of his rage. Kill that chicken and pour a bit of its blood in the basin. Then wash your hands, all of you, including the children, and then you can step inside the gates." Hebana. Kill a chicken? How? Last time I did that was almost 45 years ago. Most of the time, my brothers did it for me. Guys were there for a reason.

Ntombi scoffs. "Oww for god sake." She takes the chicken from my arms and twists its neck, murdering it in the process, and then spills a few drop of its blood in the basin. She then discards it and washes her hands in the basin. That was so cruel. Animal cruelty people, did you see this? No wonder some of y'all are vegetarians. Aibo. This is scary. I also wash my hands in the basin and order the guards to bring my children out of the cars. They help them wash their hands in their unconscious state. When it's Futhy's turn, my father's brother shakes his head. What is it now?

"That one needs a goat and her father should purchase it himself. The boys will accompany him where he will get it. Take her back inside the car and the others, you can take them to my hut." He instructs and I am so confused. The guards are accompanied by the servants inside the gates and my sister follows them. "I am Thokozani Mkhize, by the way. Your father's younger brother." He smiles. "You can come in when you're done." He turns and walks away. I head over to Ndosi who is leaning on his car.

"You have to go and buy a goat as soon as possible." I inform him and he nods. I guess he heard all that Uncle Thokozani said seeing that he is not asking any questions. "One of the boys will accompany you." He steps closer to me and cups my cheek.
"Are you going to be okay?" His voice is so soft. When he speaks like this, all I wanna do is wrap myself around him and never let go.

I nod. "Yeah, I will be fine. Go. We need to help Futhy as soon as we can. Uncle Thokozani said some strange things that left me confused and a bit scared." He frowns. "The sangoma. He is my father's younger brother apparently. He should be using a walking stick if not a wheelchair by now, but he is strong as a horse."

He chuckles. "Okay. I will be back soon." He kisses my forehead and walks away. I walk to the car where Futhy is sleeping and sit next to her. I brush hair away from her forehead and sigh. Why did life had to be so difficult on her? She is only a child. My child. She doesn't deserve all this.